Is hogarthian the "new" DIR? (I've been away for a few years)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zimm17

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been out of diving for 6 years (lived in washington d.c.), but now I'm back in Fort Lauderdale. It looks like the DIR forum is dead. Are we calling the gear rigging "hogarthian"? What did I miss?

It was Hogarthian before it was DIR. There was a Hogarthian diving forum on ScubaBoard when I joined back in 2004. I wondered then what the heck it was all about.

Bill Hogarth Main was in the WKPP, and he was someone who loved to tinker with the equipment. He was given a lot of credit for the design that eventually became the standard rig for technical diving. It was adapted by those who used the term DIR.

He continued to tinker, though, and today he does not dive strictly by the old DIR rules. As one of the old DIR people explained it a few years ago, the DIR people believed in standardization, and tinkering is an enemy to standardization.

GUE dropped the phrase DIR years ago. UTD still uses it. The DIR forum is pretty much a GUE forum now, and you rarely see the term DIR used.

Bill Hogarth Main is credited with standardizing a streamlined set of gear for cave diving in the 80s. Theses ideas were sort of the foundation for the DIR movement.

In short, Hogarthian was first.

William Hogarth Main - Wikipedia

Cool, thanks. As I mentioned, I've had my gear hung up for a few years. I did take GUE fundamentals, but my brother wasn't into it so I didn't pursue anything beyond it. Now I just try to be the best diver on the charter boat for a rec dive, which isn't usually too hard.

I've been out of diving for 6 years (lived in washington d.c.), but now I'm back in Fort Lauderdale. It looks like the DIR forum is dead. Are we calling the gear rigging "hogarthian"? What did I miss?

From your posts about hose lengths and backup lights, I figured your story was something like that. As John mentioned, GUE no longer uses the term "DIR"--you wouldn't hear it in Fundamentals class nowadays. I think they just refer to what they do as "GUE diving." I wish the "DIR" forum was titled something else, but there really is no accepted generic name for it. I can't imagine anyone regularly referring to himself as a "Hogarthian" diver except in jest--it's a mouthful.

As others have said, DIR forum is mostly GUE. Perhaps it should be renamed GUE or a separate area created for them. This would solve some issues like posting something there and then being told GUE does not do this or that. I think DIR can be continued as a style of diving; its not a forgotten term by any means. Hogarthian has many aspects that are DIR and vice versa. But they are not necessarily the same.

As others have said, DIR forum is mostly GUE. Perhaps it should be renamed GUE or a separate area created for them. This would solve some issues like posting something there and then being told GUE does not do this or that. I think DIR can be continued as a style of diving; its not a forgotten term by any means. Hogarthian has many aspects that are DIR and vice versa. But they are not necessarily the same.
I suspect that if a honcho at GUE asked one would be created. But that isn't how they roll.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom