Is going from Tetra 5050 to G10 in housing XXX really an upgrade?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Onewolf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am seriously considering upgrading from my current Tetra 5050 system (with dual Sea&Sea YS-90DX strobes) to an SLR (Canon) based system. After discussing this several times with Ryan at Reef Photo it looks like it will cost a minimum of close to $4500 for a good SLR housing system (Sea&Sea) based around my existing equipment: Canon 50D body, Canon 10-22mm and 60mm macro lenses, three Sea&Sea YS-90DX strobes, and ULCS arms. A 50D system configured with all the bells and whistles I would eventually want comes in around $7000. :deal:

After seeing the "entry price" into the SLR world I decided to see if there was a less expensive option that would provide a reasonable upgrade path from my current Tetra 5050. Two areas I would like to see improvements are: bigger LCD and faster/better autofocus. The Canon G10 obviously provides a larger (higher resolution) LCD.

For any people who have upgraded from C5050 system to a G10 system, does the G10 autofocus work noticeably better UW than the C5050? Do you think going from the C5050 to the G10 is a worthwhile upgrade or should I just bite the bullet and chunk out the dough for an SLR system?

Another issue I have with the move from a Tetra 5050 -> G10 system is that I really like the Tetra ROC TTL functionality (especially for macro stuff I enjoy so much). Is there a reasonable TTL system available with a G10 housing (besides Ikelite because I understand that Ikelite's TTL system requires Ikelite strobes). From my research it seems like if I want TTL with a G10 system it will be limited to optical sync connections rather than Nikonos style electrical. Is that correct?

Thanks for any information or opinions.

Doug

Two areas I would like to see improvements are: bigger LCD and faster/better autofocus. The Canon G10 obviously provides a larger (higher resolution) LCD.

For any people who have upgraded from C5050 system to a G10 system, does the G10 autofocus work noticeably better UW than the C5050? Do you think going from the C5050 to the G10 is a worthwhile upgrade or should I just bite the bullet and chunk out the dough for an SLR system?

While there are many things I like about the Tetra 5050 housing, one of the reasons your rig may have questionable auto focus is due to the fact that the 5050 is a beam assisted auto focus and a non-transparent housing blocks the beam.

I shoot with the system in my tag line and I use the remarkable 5050 auto focus on nearly every dive. I have never seen much need for ttl the way I shoot, and with my stock PT-015 housing I can remove it from the tray, unscrew the WAL, and stick it way back into a tight hole for shots no wired housing will get. It's pretty easy to see the reddish beam hitting the subject, or after review to move the reddish beam to a better subject.

Sorry for not being able to really answer your Q; end hijack. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom