Is Dacor junk??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMHO, a snorkel is a snorkel is a snorkel....I have a Dacor mask...why? When I needed a new mask, the Dacor fit the best so I bought it.

No problems yet...

I dont have any Dacor equipment, but I do have ALOT of Mares equipment. I have heard it many times that Dacor is just Mares is a different wrapper, and many of you are saying that Dacor sucks. So are you saying that Mares sucks too? Just curious.

I forgot they were Dacor, but the left one will not stay zipped unless I have a full on...when I dive naked or wear a shorty I have to rig a zipper holder out of velcro strapping...

Yeah...It's pretty much junk like mares. But if you just dive a few times a yr. on vacation it will last you just fine. As far as the local divers go who dive 20-40 times a yr. Those lines are NOT recomended.

I will agree with that.....I dive infrequently with my Dacor stuff, and it has held up fine. I can't comment on its quality over extended periods of hard core use. So IMHO its good recreational stuff. :) But with current pricing, there is much better stuff out there for much lower prices. Dacor is gonna price themselves out of business.........

Brules

is in the eye of the beholder. People who drive Chevies scoff at those who drive Fords and so on, and so on. Dacor is NOT junk. I don't even find it over-priced. It is fairly easy to work on if you take the time to learn it. My son and wife both use Dacor regs, and have had no problems with them. I have had no problems with servicing them either.

Quite often, we form opinions based on what others say and pass them as our own. In order to sound "discriminating" we sometimes feel it necessary to denigrate products we choose not to use. If we fall into this trap, then we give our uninformed opinions to others. It is far better to tell us why you choose your particular piece of equipment.

This is not directed at those who have tried particular products and formed their opinions based on their experience. Still, just calling something "junk" does not really tell us anything about the equipment, except that you don't like it. It gives us little to compare our experiences with and should be avoided. Comments about how hard or easy it is to breathe on, a particular failure rate, the location of any controls, or even that it looks weird will give us a better insight as to why a piece of equipment should be avoided or embraced. Be specific and avoid generalities. And by all means, if you really haven't tried it yet, let us know that too. Often we treat second or third hand information as first hand and that can be deceptive. The legal system calls that hearsay.

Thanks for all the replies. My intent was to find out if there is a "feel" to a certain company. I will be a recreational diver, doing most of my dives in the tropics on vacation. I don't know wether to buy the inexpensive stuff versus renting. I don't know if I can justify spending tons of money while I won't be diving a great deal. Dacor seems to be inexpensive compared to other brands, however, I don't know if it is "inexpensive" or "cheap".

KenH

Ken,

Dacor gear isn't going to kill you, if that's what you're worried about. It's just that you can spend less and get better stuff that you won't out grow.

Good luck,

Mike

I have a set of Dacor Enduro Guages that I'm now in love with. I was a bit unsure of them (there is a post if you do a search that NO ONE replied to... thanks again guys)

The thing is super sweet and accurate as hell. It's a depth guage with max depth indicator and an SPG with a thermometer... for $120 you can't beat the thing... it's got a great design to it as well, very streamlined as to not get snagged on anything.

I will continue to use it for years to come as my computer backup. Downside is it's only good to 200ft... which isn't a problem for me...... YET!

As for regs and bcs... don't know... never tried em..

We really don't have alot of Dacor gear in our shop, but I do know they had a problem with the Viper reg when they first came out...which has since been fixed. From what I understand, Dacor is still good gear...maybe not the top..but for occasional diving it should be fine. Never heard of any BC problems..except for personal preference. And that happens with ANY brand.

And, just for info...Oceanic's computers are made by Pelegic not Suunto.

Good luck in your search

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom