Is Coronavirus keeping you from booking liveaboard/overseas trips this year?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

  • Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BluEclipse17

Registered
Messages
37
Reaction score
28
Location
NOLA
# of dives
200 - 499
Dispute the charge with your credit card company
Yep. We were scheduled to go out on Nautilus Undersea next week from Cabo. The Nautilus is sticking to the terms and conditions for rebooking, being in my opinion unreasonable considering this is an unprecedented event. We didn't want to cancel, only to reschedule for later. But they require forfeit of 100% of our money ($8000) and only a 40% discount to rebook.

I'm hoping the border closure will make them more reasonable. We'll see.

Yea, thats some bullsh!t. As others have said i'd dispute the charges, never travel with them again and tell everyone how sh!tty of an operation they are. They are risking lives even allowing their trip to continue.

I completely understand not offering a refund but to not allow you to reschedule is crazy.
 

outofofficebrb

HARRO HUNNAYYY
Messages
3,360
Reaction score
2,792
Location
San Francisco, California
# of dives
200 - 499
While disputing a charge is an option, I currently cannot bring myself to do it in my situation. I’m still waiting to hear back from the op via my agent/agency. If I did that, I would be screwing over my agent and their agency and it is no fault of theirs right now. The chargeback, IF approved, would mean a hit to them and not the operator of the liveaboard. My agent and their agency has been so good to me over the years. :( @Dan
 

BluEclipse17

Registered
Messages
37
Reaction score
28
Location
NOLA
# of dives
200 - 499
While disputing a charge is an option, I currently cannot bring myself to do it in my situation. I’m still waiting to hear back from the op via my agent/agency. If I did that, I would be screwing over my agent and their agency and it is no fault of theirs right now. The chargeback, IF approved, would mean a hit to them and not the operator of the liveaboard. My agent and their agency has been so good to me over the years. :( @Dan

Weird situation. I agree with giving them the opportunity to fix the situation but in the end I would do everything I can to avoid losing $8000 even if it means screwing over the agent. The agent can then do as they please with the operator. They may have a little more weight to swing if they say they will never sell their trip again. In the end the agent is marking up the trip as well to make money.
 

outofofficebrb

HARRO HUNNAYYY
Messages
3,360
Reaction score
2,792
Location
San Francisco, California
# of dives
200 - 499
Weird situation. I agree with giving them the opportunity to fix the situation but in the end I would do everything I can to avoid losing $8000 even if it means screwing over the agent. The agent can then do as they please with the operator. They may have a little more weight to swing if they say they will never sell their trip again. In the end the agent is marking up the trip as well to make money.

Booking with my agent and booking direct with the operator actually yields no difference in price - it is never higher with the agent in my experience. Even return discounts that are extended to me direct with the op are honored with my agent.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Jay

Dan

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Messages
7,734
Reaction score
5,282
Location
Lake Jackson, Texas
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Ya. I'm in the same boat, waiting op answer through my agent. My case is simple, my trip will be rescheduled to future date. I think the surge of similar deals is overwhelming the op system and we are going through a backlog. I'll be patiently waiting for my turn.
 

Hoag

Contributor
Messages
1,989
Reaction score
1,743
Location
SW Ontario - Just outside of the GTHA
# of dives
200 - 499
When I cancelled my photo trip to Banff, WestJet refunded the charge for seat selection completely and transferred the remainder of the cost of the flight to an account to be used on a flight within a year.
 

Hoag

Contributor
Messages
1,989
Reaction score
1,743
Location
SW Ontario - Just outside of the GTHA
# of dives
200 - 499
There are other factors that will come into play for many of us. As a direct result of the current economic turmoil related to COVID-19, the Canadian dollar is in the toilet right now. With the current exchange rate, $1USD = $1.43CAD. Adding 43% to the cost of a trip makes things tough.
 

mruseless

Contributor
Messages
305
Reaction score
35
Location
Denver, Colorado, USA
# of dives
500 - 999
Dispute the charge with your credit card company
Unfortunately I paid through my local shop with a check. Maybe he will be willing to dispute if he paid for the group with a cc. I'll discuss with him tomorrow but he's also a personal friend so I won't do something that hurts him.
 

MrBigfins

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Messages
538
Reaction score
319
Location
Pittsburgh Pa
# of dives
100 - 199
I just realized something, I was supposed to be heading to Socorro tomorrow and instead I'm actually excited that my governor now permitted me to go back to work instead. What has this pandemic done to me
 

Shasta_man

Contributor
Messages
2,670
Reaction score
760
Location
Northern California
I'd say it would be Nautilus who would be screwing your agent.

While not suggesting not to dispute, disputing the charge doesn't automatically result in you getting your money back and done. The CC company would consider the purchase, terms, etc to decide whether it is reasonable to refund your money. They owe both sides of the trans a review of the purchase. You might, I mean will still have an uphill battle to get your money through them.

Separately, not allowing people to reschedule doesn't seem to be reasonable since it would allow them to keep your money from the originally scheduled trip really for doing pretty much nothing (i'm thinking that boat maintenance is an ongoing cost that happens regardless)and then having to incur the same cost they would have now but at a future point. Given the reason this happening (all people affected worldwide) it doesn't seem reasonable. However, prior to this event, we've seen some companies feeling that customers perceptions of their companies are not so important.
 
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Top Bottom