DIR- Generic Is carrying weight on you a good idea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recently added a double thickness semidry, waist belt pockets, and tried a weight belt with my 5.5kg backplate

002.JPG

Never again, now it's back to MMO weight plates and maybe a bigger wing to keep my head above the ocean

I prefer that my rig sink rather than me sink.

if you need a bigger wing…
You seem to be under the impression this is an either-or situation. ditching your rig in a drysuit means leaving hundreds of dollars in the water and the ability to add additional flotation to your suit. That makes no sense to me at all.

Lead is cheap. If you are in trouble you should make it so staying on the surface is your number one priority. A failed wing or flooded drysuit shouldn't become a life or death crisis. Dropping your rig with a flooded drysuit isn't going to fix your buoyancy with a flooded suit anyway. I know it is super wonderful to have everything piled on to your unit, but you are also putting all your eggs into one basket.

Job one is to go home after every dive, with as much of your gear as possible. None of my gear is worth my life, but I would rather drop a couple of hundred dollars than my entire rig.

You seem to be under the impression this is an either-or situation. ditching your rig in a drysuit means leaving hundreds of dollars in the water and the ability to add additional flotation to your suit. That makes no sense to me at all.

Lead is cheap. If you are in trouble you should make it so staying on the surface is your number one priority. A failed wing or flooded drysuit shouldn't become a life or death crisis. Dropping your rig with a flooded drysuit isn't going to fix your buoyancy with a flooded suit anyway. I know it is super wonderful to have everything piled on to your unit, but you are also putting all your eggs into one basket.

Job one is to go home after every dive, with as much of your gear as possible. None of my gear is worth my life, but I would rather drop a couple of hundred dollars than my entire rig.
Since more than half of my weight is dumpable I don’t think this is an issue, in 52 years I’ve never had an occasion to ditch either and I have had a flooded drysuit, if I was worried about the rig floating, which is fine if it can I would get more wing.

Weight belt - 2x4lb is ok with a twinset + canister light.

more than that - can't find heavier tanks?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom