DIR- Generic Is carrying weight on you a good idea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeanW

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello all,

I typically dive with all of my weight bolted/ attached to my bpw and have never thought anything of it. Recently, I’ve been diving a thicker undergarment with my Drysuit that requires more weight (in salt water, I need 20lbs of lead with a SS Backplate, and HP100). While I certainly don’t have an issue attaching that weight to the backplate, I am concerned that my 30lb singles wing is not enough lift to float my equipment at the surface if I need to take it off. How many of you dive with some of your weight on you vs all in the rig? I honestly would prefer not to use a weight belt, but for those that carry lead on you, what is your preferred method?

I use a weight belt for the additional weight needed for thicker layers. A rubber freediving belt may be more comfortable if you dislike the normal webbing style.

I prefer that my rig sink rather than me sink.

if you need a bigger wing…

I prefer that my rig sink rather than me sink.

if you need a bigger wing…
Bye bye rig if you need to remove it to swim over the tube of a rib.
Hello all,

I typically dive with all of my weight bolted/ attached to my bpw and have never thought anything of it. Recently, I’ve been diving a thicker undergarment with my Drysuit that requires more weight (in salt water, I need 20lbs of lead with a SS Backplate, and HP100). While I certainly don’t have an issue attaching that weight to the backplate, I am concerned that my 30lb singles wing is not enough lift to float my equipment at the surface if I need to take it off. How many of you dive with some of your weight on you vs all in the rig? I honestly would prefer not to use a weight belt, but for those that carry lead on you, what is your preferred method?
About half my single (hp100) tank lead is on the cam bands/STA. The rest is on a conventional weight belt.

Bye bye rig if you need to remove it to swim over the tube of a rib.

About half my single (hp100) tank lead is on the cam bands/STA. The rest is on a conventional weight belt.
Yea, if only there was a way to secure it to the RIB.

by by diver with the floating rig and the weight around their waist.

Yea, if only there was a way to secure it to the RIB.

by by diver with the floating rig and the weight around their waist.
Been diving off a rib since 2000. Can say that zero divers enjoy the feeling of their whole rig sinking behind them. It's a colossal pita when your BC wants to sink into the abyss while you try and take it off. And god forbid if the cord, boltsnap, or harness attachment point rips off. Having a neutral rig floating on a cord next to the rib is part of having a relaxing day instead of a drama filled one.

Been diving off a rib since 2000. Can say that zero divers enjoy the feeling of their whole rig sinking behind them. It's a colossal pita when your BC wants to sink into the abyss while you try and take it off. And god forbid if the cord, boltsnap, or harness attachment point rips off. Having a neutral rig floating on a cord next to the rib is part of having a relaxing day instead of a drama filled one.
I guess we’re back to having enough wing.

I guess we’re back to having enough wing.
Or splitting your weight so your 30lb wing is sufficient? Belt or harness because your dry/wetsuit is buoyant. I know I'm very floaty with 12 lbs on a belt at depth in an 8/7/6 Hollis semi dry. If I'm in a scenario where my dry suit floods and I need to ditch weight then my belt can go at any time up top. I'd rather lose a belt than my rig any day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom