Is Car Charger a Good Idea for Divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OrcaTorch

Contributor
Reaction score
Help us a favor, we need your feedback !!
🤗

Both our H2 & H2e chargers are car chargers, do you like the way to charge? Can you tell us how often you will use the car charger?
Welcome to tell us in the comments.
❤️

With that option, it also works on a boat....

Also, many newer vehicles have a "cigarette lighter" port in the cargo area.

The real issue though is that it takes such a long time to charge, the car charge is really only likely of use in "an emergency".

🤗

Both our H2 & H2e chargers are car chargers, do you like the way to charge? Can you tell us how often you will use the car charger?
❤️
I prefer the USB port on the Xtar chargers. Anyone with a cell phone already has the necessary "brick" and a car cigarette lighter to USB are also ubiquitous

🤗

❤️
I would prefer everything go to USB-C which allows the flexibility to charge from the car or home with a high power connector. I specifically look for chargers that use USB-C these days to get away from unique charging cords.

If they are USB connections, I agree with @tbone1004, I no longer buy items that are not USB-C connections.
The chargers that @OrcaTorch are talking about are not USB. They are outputting 4.2v and 2000ma or ~9w and doing it from a cigarette outlet with a barrel plug.
Standard USB-A is only rated at about 12w which is still enough and I have a couple of Nitecore and Xtar chargers that use USB-A and while slow, they're fine. If you put a USB-C PD on there though then you can charge much faster than that if available and if they implement it right, can also use it as a battery bank with bi-directional capability. Way better than these chargers IMO.

The chargers that @OrcaTorch are talking about are not USB. They are outputting 4.2v and 2000ma or ~9w and doing it from a cigarette outlet with a barrel plug.
Standard USB-A is only rated at about 12w which is still enough and I have a couple of Nitecore and Xtar chargers that use USB-A and while slow, they're fine. If you put a USB-C PD on there though then you can charge much faster than that if available and if they implement it right, can also use it as a battery bank with bi-directional capability. Way better than these chargers IMO.
I understand what they are asking. But I agree, if they are redesigning the USB part of the battery I personally believe it should upgraded to a USB-C out with both charge and discharge capabilities. Id pay the premium for that upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom