Is Bimini Diving Good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hydroknot

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

I've searched the forums, but could not find anything within a year or so about diving in Bimini. So here is my question:

Is scuba diving any good around Bimini? We want to take a diving trip between Dec 24 and Jan 04.

Any info about Bimini dive operators is appreciated, too.

Thanks.

IMO, the best diving in the Biminis is about an hour's run south, in the Cat Cay/Gun Cay area.

I agree that the Diving below Cat Cay was better than the diving just outside the harbor that the day boats use.

The best way to dive Bimini is on a boat that you're staying on. This is based on better diving is found this way and I was less than impressed with the dive operation on North Bimini.

ditto.... I have only done any Bahamas diving from the Nekton liveaboard and the dives at Bimini (Hawksbill and The Strip) were the least impressive and not colorful (reefs were covered with sand or dead but they did have tons of fish). I was told that Bimini takes so many hurricane direct hits and with the shallow reefs, they tend to get beat up every year. :( I have seen photos of some of the dive sites on the northern end of Bimini and they look a bit better.

Down south at Cat Cay diving is waaay better, and then continue on further south (only done by liveaboard as it is more than a day out) the diving is excellent at Cay Sal Bank and Medio Reef. :D Tons of lush coral, tons of fish, and tons of sharks. :D

I did a liveaboard that did the Bimini/Cat Cay area and it was great!. We did most of the diving south of Bimini in the Cat Cay area and it was spectacular.

The only hurricane to hit Bimini in the last 20 years was Andrew in 1993. I agree the best diving is south of Cat Cay but there are some nice dives off Bimini also.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom