Is an inexpensive SMB worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought one from Piranha Surface Marker Buoy's "SMB's"

I didn't realize it when i bought it, but they do have a plastic clip, so I broke it off and picked up an oval quick link like this to replace it.
Oval-Quick-Link-8mm-0934-08.jpg

Then I used a snap bolt like this threaded into the link.
acsb_-00_brass-swivel-eye-bolt-snap-825b.jpg

Worked great.

The ones I sell all have a metal d ring, bungee sewn on to keep them rolled up, opv valves, and none of them 6 ft, 4.5 ft, and 3 ft are over 50 bucks. And if you order before July 4th you can get 15% off.

When you are doing drift diving, as in Cozumel, or Indonesia, or sites in the Pacific Northwest, one of the biggest LIKELY problems to have is to be blown away from the group or the guide. In that case, you need to be able to signal your whereabouts. The best strategy is to deploy an SMB from depth, the moment you are aware you have left the group; this will give the dive boat the best chance of seeing that you are moving away before you are too far to spot. But deploying an SMB from depth is a skill that requires a fair bit of buoyancy control, and has risks involved (if you get tangled in the line), so if you have no opportunity to get into a pool or anything and learn to do this, you might be better off with the simple kind that has no valves, but is simply inflated on the surface. It's better than no signaling device at all. But if you like drift diving and think you might make a habit of it, acquire a good quality SMB and learn to deploy it from underwater.

My personal recommendation, although I recommend very little from them, is the Halcyon bag. It is easy to inflate orally, in warm or cold water, or with an LP inflator hose. The bags are sturdy and the hardware is good quality. They are expensive, and worth it.

Thanks for the advice. We'll go with cheap ones that can be deployed at the surface for this first trip. If we make a second trip next year, we will get deployable ones and make sure to get some practice time to learn to deploy them correctly. I hate buying twice, but in this case, I just don't have the budget to buy good ones right off the bat.

Thanks for the advice. We'll go with cheap ones that can be deployed at the surface for this first trip. If we make a second trip next year, we will get deployable ones and make sure to get some practice time to learn to deploy them correctly. I hate buying twice, but in this case, I just don't have the budget to buy good ones right off the bat.

Good decision and reasoning. On a night dive in Cozumel last year, our group of about six divers surfaced in two or three sub-groups, not far from each other, but far enough that it was useful for each group to be able to deploy an SMB on the surface and illuminate it with their dive light. Even a cheapie fairly small one would work for that.

That's why I posted the piranha link. They are cheap but are upgrades over the 4' cheap ones at the same price. I bought the 8' one and modified it as I previously posted for an extra $6 and 5 minutes of time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom