Is a spare mask an absolute requirement when diving solo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not for me. Losing your mask is just the same as losing your primary air, you abort the dive and make an immediate ascent.

How often have you practiced this solo, without a depth gauge, and without any visual reference (especially the bottom)?

Last edited:
The real answer to the actual question is, of course, No, it is not an *absolute* requirement. Only redundant gas is an absolute requirement, beyond normal dive gear (which includes a cutting tool, compass, timer/computer plus redundancy, etc).
Most of the answers are more about whether or not it is a good idea; Yes, most say. They argue a spare mask can be very useful, and is not hard to carry. This is in the category of moderate value-low effort, along with a spare light. The category of moderate value, high effort is things like a spare fin. The category of low value, low effort is a spare mouthpiece and cable tie. What you want to avoid is anything in the high effort category, unless it is possibly high-value: your redundant gas supply is in this category. So go through all the gear you need for a dive, and decide whether each piece is low, moderate, or high value, and is each piece, low, moderate, or high effort to carry as a spare? What about spare buoyancy, like a dual-bladder wing or a lift bag?

The real answer to the actual question is, of course, No, it is not an *absolute* requirement. Only redundant gas is an absolute requirement, beyond normal dive gear (which includes a cutting tool, compass, timer/computer plus redundancy, etc).
Most of the answers are more about whether or not it is a good idea; Yes, most say. They argue a spare mask can be very useful, and is not hard to carry. This is in the category of moderate value-low effort, along with a spare light. The category of moderate value, high effort is things like a spare fin. The category of low value, low effort is a spare mouthpiece and cable tie. What you want to avoid is anything in the high effort category, unless it is possibly high-value: your redundant gas supply is in this category. So go through all the gear you need for a dive, and decide whether each piece is low, moderate, or high value, and is each piece, low, moderate, or high effort to carry as a spare? What about spare buoyancy, like a dual-bladder wing or a lift bag?

What question are you responding to?

Only briefly.

What is your point? Does it bother you if people stay on topic?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

The real answer to the actual question is, of course, No, it is not an *absolute* requirement. Only redundant gas is an absolute requirement

If I am about 20 - 30 feet - I don't believe I have the need for redundant gas as an absolute requirement.
Yes you can talk about getting entangled - but at some depth point I would dare to say you do not need redundancy - but it is my call for my safety. Anyone diving solo gets to make that same call - for me the depth of the dive determines what I carry in redundancy versus streamline and lite weight - for others they may not take that risk.

If I am about 20 - 30 feet - I don't believe I have the need for redundant gas as an absolute requirement.
Yes you can talk about getting entangled - but at some depth point I would dare to say you do not need redundancy - but it is my call for my safety. Anyone diving solo gets to make that same call - for me the depth of the dive determines what I carry in redundancy versus streamline and lite weight - for others they may not take that risk.

A good point, but my input was in the context of solo training (SDI) and diving under those guidelines. Redundant gas is an absolute requirement.

Agreed, redundant gas is an absolute requirement for students when teaching the class. I also require a spare mask since you are going to do lost mask skills on all the dives. Including shooting a bag/smb with no mask from depth after which you'll don your back up mask on your safety stop. Another thing I require and feel is necessary equipment is a mirror. For use under water as well as on the surface.

Though not required for my solo class, I have started carrying a mirror. It is attached to the handle of a z knife which is attached to a small retractor I wear of my wrist. Very useful for bubble checks, making sure my mask skirt is under my hood, and sorting out and entanglements behind me. I'm sure I could use it to signal as well. Easy to carry. High value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom