Is a digital compass any good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A lot of great responses. Thanks! Even before this thread I've heard pretty good things of Subapro's digital compass but mixed reviews of others. I think even if i did get a "all in one" unit I would probably end up with a backup console on a pressure hose. I just can't see myself completely relying on a wireless transmitter and computer for everything.

A lot of great responses. Thanks! Even before this thread I've heard pretty good things of Subapro's digital compass but mixed reviews of others. I think even if i did get a "all in one" unit I would probably end up with a backup console on a pressure hose. I just can't see myself completely relying on a wireless transmitter and computer for everything.

I agree. I have a Galilleo Luna, but still dive with my compass equipped console. Back ups are great to have.

I'm looking in to buying a Luna, and I haven't read anything but glowing reviews of the compass feature from owners of the model. It seems to be one of the very best digital compasses.

I find that the Suunto (D6) is good if you want to stop and take a bearing once or twice on a dive, but if you're using it a lot during a dive you will spend much time waiting for it to react to your button-presses. Since this is typically the most I need to do with a compass, it suits me okay.

I have a Suunto D9. I don't like the digital compass, it works fine, no problems calibrating etc - but engaging it denies me all other dive related info. I don't like the either/or scenario.
The implementation of the Galileo "Luna"is just so well thought out.While IN compass mode you still have:Current Depth-Total Dive Time-Current Tank Pressure & either No Deco.Dive Time Remaining OR Decompression Depth/Total Deco.Time & Deco.Time Remaining displayed ALONG with the Compass!

I bought a galileo sol from beaverdiver and all I can say is that it works wonders, I got
It with air integration and heart rate transmitter! I haven't had any problem with it at all. And the compass on them is really good, unlike others you are able to adjust how long the compass stays on the screen so if your mapping you can make it stay there the whole time and till you change it back to dive mode. I bought a $6 IR transmitter from eBay and just updated my computer so it is ready for trimix and the new apnea function for free diving. About the air integration, Im thinking of getting a Spg for it but with air integration it calculate the remaining bottom based on how much air you have left, breathing rate, safety stops as well as deco. But I wouldn't have a spare compass with me, if in the event it did crash, I would just follow my buddy,

My dive buddy uses a Galileo Luna and cannot seem to navigate with it as the refresh rate is too slow. That, and they're arm mounted (personal preference for me)

I handed him my retractable compass and he had zero issues navigating.

I LOVE everything about my Galileo Luna, and that includes the digital compass. I really like that (as has been stated) you can use the compass while still having quick access to other important numbers. One other thing I really like is having a lockable bearing on the digital compass.

That being said, I always carry a backup, analog compass. But I can count on a closed fist how many times I've used said analog backup :wink:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PADI Rescue/DM 09100Z7445
Dr Dive/Wet Dream/Sea Cobra/Y-Knot

Diving is my passion...I live to dive!

My dive buddy uses a Galileo Luna and cannot seem to navigate with it as the refresh rate is too slow. That, and they're arm mounted (personal preference for me)

I handed him my retractable compass and he had zero issues navigating.
I was diving in 10" Vis today fixing a hole in a lake. The Galileo Sol/Luna compass performed flawless. I found the " Hole " and fixed it.

I love the Digital compass on the Galileo!

I guess you just need to know how to use it.

We use it in our Open Water thru Instructor courses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom