Is a digital compass any good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've heard some people don't really like the digital compasses. What is your opinion? Do they update at a quick enough rate to not be frustrating? Accuracy? Opinions?

I cannot fathom a reason why anyone would not like the Galileo compass. IMO, it is one of the top innovations in the industry in years.

In fact, many GUE divers active in the WKPP project utilize in place the ubiquitous SK-7 compass...

Last edited:
Digital compass on my Cobalt works well. Calibration is an acquired artform, and the intentional damping is a bit much for my tastes, but "any good"? Yes.

What piece of equipment are you referring to?

Mine is a suunto vyper air. I turn on the compass feature and it is locked to dead north. I go to calibrate and it tells me to rotate slowly. At best, the little display of the circle only gets about half way. I don't know-maybe I am turning too fast or too slow.

Mine is a suunto vyper air. I turn on the compass feature and it is locked to dead north. I go to calibrate and it tells me to rotate slowly. At best, the little display of the circle only gets about half way. I don't know-maybe I am turning too fast or too slow.

I haven't heard many good things on that add-on feature. Borrow a Sol or Luna. They are the bee's knee's.

I have a digital compass on my Suunto D9. Don't like it, and don't use it except as a backup.

I understand the compass on the D9tx is better, but have never seen it so can't comment.

For what it's worth I just started diving a new Galileo "Luna".The digital compass in simply AWESOME!Set a bearing at the beginning of the dive & boogie all over the place,time to head back & bang,there's an arrow pointing the way home.Calibration is automatic & happens RIGHT NOW.The 1 problem I see is it's SOOO easy to use it might make some people lazy regarding watching the course changes they make.

With my Suunto Cobra 3, I first tried to do the calibration by holding it in my hand and turning it around. Fail. What works for me consistently is to place it on a wooden table top and then rotate it 360 degrees when directed - so it may be a matter of making sure it stays dead level while rotating for calibration.

Thanks altaskier. I'll give that one a 'spin' :)

Digital Compass - Not a fan so here is my take:
Advantages -
1. The SUUNTO Cobra 3 allows for a tilt of the compass up to 45 degrees. Non-digital compass can lock up if you tilt them.
2. You can hit bookmark and it will record your bearing
3. You can set a bearing and the symbols will tell you your are on course >|< 180 decrees from set course is a box with a verticle line in it. 90 degrees off course (either way) will show a box with a horizontal line.
If you are off course it will point the way to turn to get back on course.
4. It is illuminated in dim light
5. I can adjust the amount of time the compass is on.
6. More compact and streamlined console

Disadvantages
1. I set 6 bookmarks trying to get the $%^@ compass on! This will get better as I get use to it as I have only had it for 10 or so dives.
2. I have to stop and wait for the compass as it takes a continous press for 2 seconds to start the compass.
3. I have to restart the compass the next time I want to take a heading.
4. I miss the ability to look at the bezel ring and just spin it to the desired course, or to look from one heading to the opposite side of the bezel ring to determine the recipical course or a 45 degree turn without having to do math.

In short, I bought the dive computer for the dive computer, not the compass. If I was deciding between two dive computers and one had the electronic compass and the other did not, the compass would not influence me to buy one way or the other. IF both computers offered all the other features I wanted, and price being equal (manual compass on one digital on the other) I woud probably opt for the manual old fashioned compass. I may add an old fashioned one yet to the console of the one I have. I am going to give it another 10 or 15 dives and see where I am.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom