Iriomote in May?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MattAlt

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience diving Iriomote in May?
Any operations that service the island and offer a dive style more suited to westerners? I speak Japanese, so communication isn't a problem, but I want to dive with PADI-style safety standards (i.e., safety stops, ability to determine own ascent time, individual-safety rather than group-focused diving, etc.)

The trip to Iriomote's already set for a variety of reasons - I know all about Yonaguni, Ishigaki, Keramas, etc., but they're going to have to wait for next time! In any event just thought it might be fun to add some dives to the trip, so thanks in advance for any advice.

Matt

MattAlt:
Anyone have any experience diving Iriomote in May?
Any operations that service the island and offer a dive style more suited to westerners? I speak Japanese, so communication isn't a problem, but I want to dive with PADI-style safety standards (i.e., safety stops, ability to determine own ascent time, individual-safety rather than group-focused diving, etc.)

Matt

hi matt,

i visited iriomoto about ten years ago and haven't been back yet. i'm afraid my info may be out of date a bit.

first of all, the rainy season starts in may in iriomote or ishigaki. therefore, whether you go there in the beginning or the end of may may make a big difference.

secondly, iriomote is famous not only for its diving destinations but also its jungle trecking or canoeing. be sure to spare some time for these land activities.

now about diving. iriomote is famous for its large-scale underwater scenery, at OGAN, one of the most dynamic diving points in whole okinawa, you will be impressed with huge rocks sticking from the -50m bottom to the level of -15m. if you are lucky with currents, you will see schools of 3m long tuna fish, too. at BARASU, you will see huge Gorgonians and colorful corals.

the shop i can recomment is the diving team UNARIZAKI. it is old: it cerebrates the 20th year aniversary this year. it is big: the staff consists of twelve men and women, certified by PADI or NAUI. it is VERY safety-conscious: they have their own catamaran boats with waterjets, no screw propellars. Their TEL is 0980-85-6146, whereas its FAX is 0980-85-6844. you may also send email to info@unarizaki.com.

hope my info will help yah!

ken chung ar

Ken, I really appreciate the advice!
We'll check Unarizaki out.
And yes, we are definitely looking forward to trekking and canoeing the mangroves too.

For other operations, check out the following:

Dive Lateequ

The great thing about Lateequ is they also have a partner company that does kayak tours, both are highly recommended.

Mr. Sasaki and his wife run a good operation there. Also, they can set you up with a very inexpensive minshuku. Note that they are near Shirahama, the port on the other side of the island, whereas the other operations are closer to the port that the ferry services. There is a free shuttle bus that takes you around the island. For peace and quiet, I recommend Lateequ. They also have their own original dive sites instead of crowding around all the same points as the other ops.

Hot Mangrove

Tell Mr. Ume that I say hello and when are we going to have Okinawan food in Tokyo again. I have not been scuba diving with him, only dining.

You can also refer to my previous post.

By the way, Matt, when are you going to dive with us in Izu?

Back
Top Bottom