Ipod - Portable Storage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brizzolatti

Contributor
Reaction score
Thought I'd let you know how I'm finding this option for storing digital images as there are often queries on the board and I have looked into it myself with help from the board.

I was looking for a solution which involved a small machine which would save me taking my laptop with me (which is old and hasn't much memory anyway) so that I could store digital pics if my memory cards were getting full.

I checked out portable hard drives and things like the Archos jukebox but none of them were really what I wanted or the price I wanted. I was not that bothered about seeing the pictures on a screen, I was just interested in storage capacity.

Then I found out about a gadget that reads media cards and then transfers images to an Apple Ipod. I already had the Ipod so I thought I would look into it. So I did and now have purchased a Belkin Media Reader for the Ipod. I have tried it out and it seems to work fine. The reader is slightly wider than the Ipod but about the same height. You slot in your media card (takes 6 types - but not XD though there is an adaptor), connect to Ipod, press the button and your pictures are transferred onto the Ipod for storage. You can then clear your card with your pics stored and in due course copy them to your laptop or desktop.

I had read that the reader was slow to transfer but it seemed ok to me. Granted I only had about 30 photos but it did it in seconds. It was all very smooth and easy to operate. The media card reader takes batteries so doesn't need charged. Storage capacity will depend on the storage capacity of your IPOD.

Overall I would say that if you have an Ipod already, this is maybe worth thinking about as a storage mechanism. If you don't, it's more cost effective looking at other methods because by the time you buy the Ipod, you could buy an alternative storage method.

But for me, it's just what I'm looking for. Small, easy to operate and reasonable capacity (15gb on my Ipod).

You need to have the Ipod 2.1 software, which is a freeware download from the Apple site and an Ipod with a docking port (as this is where the media reader is connected).

One thing Im curious about with this solution - is there any way of verifying that the pictures uploaded properly? Since Im not at all familiar with the ipod, Im just wondering whether you can at least navigate through the image names to check that they at least made it off the card.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I found this link that shows an example of how the iPod is used to store/import pictures. It's the Picture Perfect example on the top right below the iPod menu.

Apple iPod Picture Perfect

I have a 1st and 2nd generation iPod, and from what I understand, they do not support importing and storing photos the way Apple describes things on their site. This functionality only comes with the new 3rd generation iPods that are now available.

Do you have a Mac or do you use a PC? With a Mac you'll be able to easily transfer the pics between your iPod and Mac. If you have a PC, you'll need a Firewire card to link to the iPod, but you should be able to just copy the pictures to your PC from there.

Hope this helps.

~ Jason

Dave, it tells you how many pictures you have uploaded and the total size of the roll (ie all the pics together). So once I had transferred from the media card to the ipod, the screen says Roll 1, 30 pictures, 27mb. YOu can't go through each one as far as I can see. BUt they were all there! I am going to keep trying it out to check it is consistent in this.

another alternative and one that is less likely to fail (damage the hard drive, drop it what ever and that could be a weeks diving down the pan!) is the portable cd burner you can get with built in card readers.

pop the card in, put a blank cdr or cdrw in and press the button and your photo's are transfered to the cd - a lot safer than a hard disk and not bothered by airport scanning

http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=APDS109-1

Geeze, a standalone CD RW/card reader. Hadn't even seen that one before.:D
Compgeeks & TigerDirect are a couple of my favorite shopping sites, it's worth getting on the mailing list of both the outfits.:wink:
BTW, the "gizmo" I posted the link before is also available w/o a HD, just in case you happen to have a clunker laptop around to parts out.

The X-drive that Bob3 mentioned is a great piece of kit. I used one on a 2 month trip earlier this year. I trekked through the himalaya and loaded all my digital photos onto it. Absolutely brilliant. Even made up a battery adapter to run it off AA batteries.

Cheers,

J.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom