Iphone housing - Worth it? Which one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A question you need to ask yourself is if the housing leaked at depth, or if you accidentally dropped it into the abyss, which would you miss less, a GoPro or an iPhone?

Even if you are meticulous about o-rings and how you maintain your housing, the cold, hard fact is that accidents happen. Any camera has to be seen as "expendable". Many people that I know say that they "have their entire life on their phone". Is that something that you are willing to potentially put at risk?

I'd stick with the GoPro and maybe upgrade that to a newer model if you want to upgrade.

A question you need to ask yourself is if the housing leaked at depth, or if you accidentally dropped it into the abyss, which would you miss less, a GoPro or an iPhone?

Even if you are meticulous about o-rings and how you maintain your housing, the cold, hard fact is that accidents happen. Any camera has to be seen as "expendable". Many people that I know say that they "have their entire life on their phone". Is that something that you are willing to potentially put at risk?

I'd stick with the GoPro and maybe upgrade that to a newer model if you want to upgrade.

That is exactly why I’d use a slightly older model phone - not my current one - in a phone housing.

Picked up the SportDiver a few days ago. Seems to fit the bill rather nicely and have no qualms taking my iPhone diving with it. Battery looks like it will do 8+ hours (tested to 5 already) which means no need to open up the case until after diving has finished for the day. Can't currently find a way to alter the video settings from 1080p 30fps which appears to be a rather major limitation to the app. Having said that, the rest of the app works well, which is essential to the effectiveness of the case. Generally very happy with it (assuming an app update will fix the video resolution issue). (BTW, I'm using an older iPhone XR rather than my actual current phone).

Just found this thread today while reviewing the current choices for and old 'disposable' iphone 6+. For me, the basic concept of a phone housing is very appealing and better in some ways that a Gopro - as good as a Gopro is as a 'second', or backup - it is not as intuitive an interface as your familiar phone, so when I give my Gopro to my wife for some context shots, she always struggles. Also as we always travel with a phone each, a phone housing as a backup could work well - as I could back up my data to a disposable iphone for travel and backup camera, and my wife can keep her iphone unaltered - so no disaster if one phone floods. Also great that they can be attached to a tray - but I am not sure how a strobe optic can be added. I will still carry a Gopro though.

My observations,
1, I love the Moisture Muncher pocket in the SeaLife case (nice looking construction too) - why oh why has this feature taken soooo long for moisture reduction device retention to be integrated? fanfare applause go here.
2, If choosing - better to use a '+' series camera underwater for the huge advantage in battery life. (sure would have been nice for a battery bank pocket beside the Moisure Muncer pocket)
3, Meikon used to make nice simple housings that were Not Bluetooth. The current crop are, and are getting a lot more expensive - so now, if I get a flood, I loose an expensive camera AND an expensive housing (?) or can I swap out the electronics in the housing for a few bucks? And why are the electronics getting so complicated - why do I need a depth sensor etc. in my camera???? should I need a depth sensor... should I not be using a camera?
4, the Seafrogs vacuum pump alone is over $100 - need to cost that in. Do the others include that? Would be nice if I could use my Nauticam - could I (?)
5, How secure are these 'universal' fittings? I see some models have 'sleeves' (which seem on the face of it, good) others use springs and / or magnets - how good is that going to work in a dive boat scenario? The last thing I want to do before my back-roll is to open a camera case to re-position a lens.

Another solution - a TG6 with the built in phone option.

Are you sure you don't have that backwards?
pretty sure. it's sold under weefine everywhere but North America. Kraken is rebranding the stuff and adding a mark-up. I've ordered all the accessories for our Kraken branded housing under the Weefine brand for considerably less $$$

I actually have numerous dives on a Watershot brand housing and an old iPhone 6S works the very best. You can pick the phones up dirt cheap now. Unfortunately they only make housings for the current phone line up.

The GoPro sensor is larger than iPhone camera sensors which will take better pictures in low light.

If you're using a throwaway phone you're definitely not using modern Apple sensor technology which is still smaller than GoPro / TG-6 sensor.

The GoPro 5 is 2016 technology. I'd recommend stepping up to the GoPro 9. GoPro had been pretty good about keeping case size the same, but made changes with the 8 & 9. I'd recommend the 9 and hopefully there won't be any changes to the case, even if there is the case is only $50 and I see them on sale for $25 frequently.

I can't imagine the pain of returning from a trip without having access to my email, boarding passes, schedule changes, etc.

Sam

I wonder if anyone who has used the Divevolk would comment on how the wetlens/filter arm performs? Does it stay put in place? If your camera has multiple lenses does it work?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom