Iphone housing - Worth it? Which one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gopro is a much better choice when underwater, stay with it

I used the Watershot when I had the iPhone 4 - long time ago. I wouldn't put my iPhoneXR in a Watershot today. It was (don't now how much they are now) an $800 phone. If I lose it, I lose a lot more than just a camera. You could spend the same amount of money and get a GoPro or TG6 with a waterproof housing. I understand not wanting to spend that much money and not wanting to pack extra stuff (packing extra stuff was why I got the Watershot), but all it takes is to not wipe the gasket well enough or not notice the string in between the front and back of the housing as you're closing it (I did that with a camera once) and you're done. Maybe find a cheap, used waterproof camera - or do what someone else recommended and get an older iPhone and get the housing.

Hi guys,

I am a novice diver, got only 53 dives, all in the last 1,5 year, got rescue and tec fundamentals, trying to get more experience, but planning to stay in recreational diving, nothibg more serious, but I want to take a few good photo/video to show off. :wink:
I’m not a big (/good) photographer on land, so my needs are pretty basic, at least first. :)
I have a Gopro 5 Black with a wrist mount at the moment and I’m wondering if my iPhone X could make better photos/videos.
(I’m not planning to get any serious (lights, etc) upgrade for a year.)
Additional advantage, with the iphone I got a tray-like housing which otherwise I would need to buy for the gopro to be more stable.
I have found 3 waterproof housings:

• Seafrogs: Connects via Bluetooth, need separate, batteries.
  • Kraken: Bluetooth connection, separate batteris
  • Divevolk SeaTouch 3: Usable touchscreen, no additional buttons (less danger of leakage)
I’m looking in the budget category (which meets my experience :) ) and the whole Divevolk package with the lenses are in the same category with the other 2 with the most basic package.
But since I’m risking my phone with it, I would really like to hear any experience with any of them.
I read in the UWP magazine about Divevolk and saw one people who dives with it, but that’s all.

Thanks for the help!

Add on question (if anyone knows):
When having the phone in such a housing, and not taking it out during a surface interval, but continuing to take pictures above water:
Is there a potential difference between the housing in as far as how internal reflection might degrade picture quality with plenty of light present?

I have Calicase housing. Haven't tried it for diving or even snorkeling yet, just for tubing down the river. One thing I need to mention is that the "home" button does not work through the plastic and I had to activate the electronic touch-screen copy of it.

The Kraken looks a lot like the SportDiver. Almost as if the SportDiver was simply rebranded?? Hmm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom