IP gauges

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any modern regulator that is in it's manufacturers set IP range will flow more air than 1/2 dozen divers or more can use.
How far out of it's specified range would it have to be before it would limit it's function? One question that was raised was whether an ip guage needed to be accurate to a specific number or only get you close enough to support the needs of a diver. I didn't notice any problem at 120 on my gauge but I didn't adjust it lower to see where it would become a problem. How much fudge factor is there for the average reg set?

I snagged one of these for $20 at a surplus machinery store. 0-500 PSI, 6" diameter, 1/4% accuracy, helicoid movement, black case, bottom mount, and back flange. I think they thought it was really out or wack because the face as rotated about 15° so the needle showed about 150 PSI. I rotated it 250 PSI up and checked it against another gauge. It's probably still factory accurate since helicoids hold accuracy really well. Sometimes you get lucky.

https://www.3dinstruments.com/documents/KT-64Accu-DriveSkydrolDataSheet.pdf

Skydrol.jpg

Anyone ever try adding a pressure release valve to theirs?

I have that one too. Apparently I didn't read the description. Didn't know it had a twist bleed.

But I was thinking more like tire pressure checkers with a simple push button vent.

I'm sure you could, but why? If you have a second stage on there, you are going to use that to bleed the system down because it's faster. If you don't have a second stage on there, the twist bleed will be fine but that's to drain the system. Removing the gauge from the LPI does the same thing since it isn't a closed system

Anyone ever try adding a pressure release valve to theirs?
You can, the 175 psi ones for home shop compressors work fine or the small OPVs for regs work as well. It's not really necessary as long as you have a standard second stage on the reg. I occasionally service old tilt valves or double hose regs that do not have an option to install a second stage so on those I have a IP gauge with a over pressure valve installed on it.

I like using a second stage because it immediately bleeds off over pressure. That led me to believe the gauge that read 20psi higher was the suspect. I still want to compare the other one to one that I'm reasonably sure is accurate. I was able to set my 3 mk2s in the low 140s on a full tank so I'm hoping it's spot on. Using the other gauge they all free flowed the second stage at 145.

if you are going to try to add one, may as well spend the $20 and get this
Deluxe IP Gauge (PSI and BAR)

If you don't like the gauge, swap it over for a better one
Hmmm, I have that exact gauge - from Pep Boys for checking my tires. Note the tire-like rubber rim.
Edit: Nevermind, my tire gauge only goes to 50psi, not 300.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom