IP gauges

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sky is the limit on gauges. No matter which one you use, always have at least one you can cross check accuracy of the primary with. I use oil filled analog gauges on the work bench and cross check them weekly with a digital. I like the oil filled for the smooth movement and they take a beating without accuracy loss. Be sure you have a pressure release built into the circuit before you pressurize any of them. I killed a very expensive one a few months ago by forgetting to. Thanks to @herman for the new fitting.

When I started this hobby I went with the cheapest so can't complain. I'm just looking for the next one to be trustworthy. I started with MK2s to build confidence, now I have a few 109s, 156s, and a 108 that I have to get kits for.

I use oil filled analog gauges on the work bench and cross check them weekly with a digital. I

Can you provide links to the models you use and have good experience with please (especially the digital low IP gauges)?

I use Ashcroft brand, stainless steel, oil filled, panel mount 2 1/2" diameter 0-300 psi. Digital I use Dwyer brand 0-500psi. Mid scale is the most accurate part of a gauge like this.

I have used ones from Peter Buit and Scuba Tools which work good and are a lot cheaper. XS Scuba used to carry a nice large oil filled gauge as well.

I use Ashcroft brand, stainless steel, oil filled, panel mount 2 1/2" diameter 0-300 psi. Digital I use Dwyer brand 0-500psi. Mid scale is the most accurate part of a gauge like this.

I have used ones from Peter Buit and Scuba Tools which work good and are a lot cheaper. XS Scuba used to carry a nice large oil filled gauge as well.

Can the "connectors/adapters" for these brands/models be easily found to attached BC connection (I am assuming you connect a BC hose to the gauges).

Mine are panel mounted but you can get hand held versions. Get the rubber covers for them as dropping them screws up accuracy. Adaptors that go to bc fittings are common and inexpensive.

How important is 5 psi if I keep my ip adjusted to 135-140 psi? I only have one of the cheap dgx ip guages that sell for under 10$

Asking not to question, but to learn:
Why is accuracy (as in the value displayed is reflecting the actual pressure) so important?
Why is it not sufficient if accuracy is close enough, but repeatability is there?
Specifically of one mostly just uses that one gauge. Would one be able to learn by experience that with "that gauge" on that reg, better set it 10 PSI higher or lower to e.g. avoid freeflows ... ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom