Investigations and Transparency Aus comm diving accident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wingy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Inpex Australia Ichthys LNG project: claims divers suffering brain damage

I posted the scant information that has been released about this approx a week ago. Glad to see and will be following the investigation(s) into this incident. Has been a lot of quiet questions and speculation with the company obviously keeping this quiet but I expect to see the divers and or union call for another investigator in the interests of transparency.

While this was a commercial deep diving project the knowledge that may come out of this benefits us all.

The root cause analysis will be conducted within our strict laws of disclosure and duty of care hopefully leading to increased knowledge of HPNS and our physiology while diving.

Best wishes to the divers.

Inpex Australia Ichthys LNG project: claims divers suffering brain damage

I posted the scant information that has been released about this approx a week ago. Glad to see and will be following the investigation(s) into this incident. Has been a lot of quiet questions and speculation with the company obviously keeping this quiet but I expect to see the divers and or union call for another investigator in the interests of transparency.

While this was a commercial deep diving project the knowledge that may come out of this benefits us all.

The root cause analysis will be conducted within our strict laws of disclosure and duty of care hopefully leading to increased knowledge of HPNS and our physiology while diving.

Best wishes to the divers.

Thanks for posting this. It is a very interesting and disturbing read.

Seems to me that this is the crux of the issue:

"Dr Bryson said DOF had followed standard US Navy tables for the blow down.

MUA assistant national secretary Ian Bray said the union had lots of questions that needed answering.

'It was the deepest dive in Australia ever so you would have thought it would have been treated with kid gloves from all aspects,' he said. 'When I first heard the stories of some of these individual divers I was furious.'

Mr Bray said blowdown schedules for deep saturation dives of 230-240m elsewhere in world ranged from 17 to 26 hours. He claimed there was 'no table in the world on a standard dive that says it’s OK to do it in eight or five hours'.

Other diving experts agreed, though they said the US Navy diving manual, considered the bible, allowed for rapid descents in emergencies.

'The US Navy has an emergency blowdown table that is only supposed to be used in event of a submarine rescue or recovery of a nuclear warhead,' one expert said."

Back
Top Bottom