Invasion Central

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did you find better airfare yet? As of right now the price from Houston to Cozumel is $665. Yikes! Will be waiting for air to go down. Hopefully Cardzard is correct. I do expect prices to go down as they usually do, but we'll see.

Keep your hopes up - I booked my airfare today (Monday no less) since after 2 weeks of scrutinizing fares, I found an acceptable deal. All the way from Portland, Oregon with 1 stop in Houston (Continental of course) for $609 - and yes that includes all fees and taxes, and NO red-eye flights!

I used Kayak and enabled search nearby airports to Cozumel (which includes the Cancun airport), and had Kayak compare to all the other travel sites. It turned out for me that the lowest price came up by flying into Cancun then returning from Cozumel. May not work for everyone but for me it is great since I am staying on Isla Mujeres for a couple days to swim with whale sharks before heading over to Cozumel on the 30th. I am flying back to Portland on July 8th (Sunday). Travelocity had the best price and I even ended up with the exact itinerary that I preferred with reasonable takeoff and landing times.

If I can fly all the way from the Pacific Northwest - through Houston - for $609, there must be better airfares available soon for all of you that get to take a single fight straight from Hou to either Coz or Cun. Best of luck in finding your deal.

NW_D
[h=3]
[/h]

Keep your hopes up - I booked my airfare today (Monday no less) since after 2 weeks of scrutinizing fares, I found an acceptable deal. All the way from Portland, Oregon with 1 stop in Houston (Continental of course) for $609 - and yes that includes all fees and taxes, and NO red-eye flights!

I used Kayak and enabled search nearby airports to Cozumel (which includes the Cancun airport), and had Kayak compare to all the other travel sites. It turned out for me that the lowest price came up by flying into Cancun then returning from Cozumel. May not work for everyone but for me it is great since I am staying on Isla Mujeres for a couple days to swim with whale sharks before heading over to Cozumel on the 30th. I am flying back to Portland on July 8th (Sunday). Travelocity had the best price and I even ended up with the exact itinerary that I preferred with reasonable takeoff and landing times.

If I can fly all the way from the Pacific Northwest - through Houston - for $609, there must be better airfares available soon for all of you that get to take a single fight straight from Hou to either Coz or Cun. Best of luck in finding your deal.

NW_D

Thats Great NW, it just show figuring out the airlines take paitence

That's GREAT NW, it just show patience pays. The airline ticket hunt is like a big game. Great tip on fly in Cancun out fly Cozumel. Maya air is fairly cheap flying into Cozumel.

Ahhh man!! Incredible video.. Was not aware native species were hunting the Lionfish, that is stellar.

Awesome video Dennis, thanks for posting it!

In the Pacific, what are the natural predators of lionfish?

In the Pacific, what are the natural predators of lionfish?

I have read Sharks and Cornetfish eat them in the pacific. Here in the Caribbean our best hope are Groupers, Triggerfish and Eels from what I have read. The big problem from everything I have read they love water to 50 degrees and live down to 500'. Also from what I have heard they are everywhere below the 125' deep area.

Hopefully Mother Nature has a plan.

Saw a special on TV that spoke to the growing grouper population off the coast of Jupiter Island. They said some of them get to 300 to 600 pounds. These could easily eat just about anything they want. So, if the lionfish are numerous at the 125' mark, we might could live with that. The juvenile tropicals and other native fish are usually in more shallow waters, so hopefully the groupers and sharks and eels will eat the lionfish that venture into the shallows and enable the native species to continue to be successful. (fingers crossed)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom