Invade Cozumel (6/12-6/19/11) FAQ

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ann Marie

be happy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I thought I'd start a FAQ thread but keep it locked so that questions and answers are easy to find.

I'm just going to copy replies to posts that I think are really helpful to keep this thread easy to read. I'll also try and number the question so that it corresponds to the post number where the answer is.

Thanks to those that ask and answer questions!

What is ScubaBoard Invade Cozumel?

What if I need a roommate?

Are NON-DIVERS welcome?

What about trip insurance???

How do I get that cute little banner into my signature line that has the lizards and Cozumel info?

If I'm not staying at the resort that ScubaBoard is staying at, can I still dive with the group?

What about other ScubaBoard Invasions?

I'm a new diver, is that ok?

Are the times for diving flexible?

What about the rooms?

What happens after I clear customs? Does my gear fly free?

Is there a limit on the number of spaces for this trip?

Last edited:
I am very interested in doing this trip. The "singles" supplement seems very reasonable. Can anyone recommend a trip insurance company/link and tell me more why I should purchase it?
Thanks in advance.
I like the cost, benefits, and past experiences with TravelSafe.com but there are other good ones. For comparative shopping you might compare TravelSafe's Vacation Plan to others you look at.

Here is an excellent site to compare virtually all of the plans and companies offered in your state: InsureMyTrip.com | Quote | Help Use your state and info to see the comparisons, but they will try to book you there. I like to go to the source for additional views.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here... have some fun spreading the word, by copying this into your signature line:

[center][url=http://adserve.scubaboard.com/www/delivery/ck.php?oaparams=2__bannerid=533__zoneid=50__cb=52c77d746c__maxdest=http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/invade-cozumel-june-12-19-2011/361018-scubaboard-invades-cozumel-package.html]:coz:[/url][/center]

That will produce this:

I'm definately going to be there at that time. Is there going to be special dives or some kind of dive get togethers? I wont be staying where the Invasion deal is as I'm staying at a condo, but can a guy get on any dives with the scubaboard divers? thanks kev:D

At this time Kev there is no space for others to join. This a package deal and the dive operation has commited all their spots to the invasion.

Unless this package deal does not sell out, which I doubt there will be no way to join in the event. We have to insure spots for everyone who is taking the invasion package deal.

You can expect for us to have an invasion in June/July every year SOMEWHERE. This was our first out of country invasion, so it took us longer. If any resort wants in on the 2012 Invasion, they should contact Cardzard.

Being a very inexperienced diver, I am excited and yet a little apprehensive about signing up for this.

I would love to meet people that have helped me with advise and been a positive influence to me. but would all us newbs be put in different boats than our more experienced counterparts, just wondering how things like the buddy system would be set up.

I am not asking for a babysitter but I would like to dive with someone who has more experience than me

I have not had the privilege of diving in the ocean yet, that will change in Feb/11, when we go to the Riviera Maya.

We are using Dive Paradise and they have dive masters in the water with every group.
They have no issue with new divers hanging with them.
Cozumel is almost all drift diving and this allows any level diver ( certified of course ) to experience the world class diving there.

Got a question: Since the trip is for 7 nights, 6 full days not counting travel days, and the diving is for "5 - 2 Tank Morning and 4 - 1 Tank Afternoon Boat Dives," are the boats going to go all 6 days weather permitting, and if so - are divers to pick the days they want to do space permitting?

That leaves a day free for other ideas, right? I have a few in mind that I have enjoyed, but really only one or two I'd be ready to repeat...

Don
I asked Apple who is the owner of Dive Paradise so that I do not speak beyond my control. I copy/pasted your question as you wrote below is her exact reply.
It looks like they are going to be flexible ( within reason ) Their boats go out every day weather permitting.

From Apple

Hi Dennis. Pretty exciting to hear that you are headed our way next year !

We have many packages, but it sounds like you are describing our “754” People usually do a welcome tank on arrival day, and then do five days of 2 tank boat diving. On four of those 5 days, they can tack on a single tank boat dive at 3pm, as the third dive of the day. The sixth day is a free day, which people use to shop, tour the island, do the ruins or take a tour to the main land.

Hope this helps. Remember, we can always modify things to suit the needs of your divers !

Let me know if you have more questions !

apple

Do you know if there will be a list for single divers to find other single divers to share a room?
The rooms are 322 square feet. See pics Rooms or a 360 degree spin 360º Images and they look nice. I spoke with my home bud about this today and we agree that for $200 each we'd rather have private rooms with private baths, but then we both snore.

Nope scuba gear does not fly free in the US, and you may want to confirm that travel agent promise with the airline.
Here are some silly questions....but I am interested. Being new to diving, it goes without saying that I am new to dive travel. How does that work?? I am guessing we are on our own for flights?? and airport transfers?? How about gear rentals?? With baggage fees anymore, I'd rather not check scuba gear. Please forgive my ignorance. The rates seem like a terrific deal. My wife would love to sit on the beach, do some shopping, and perhaps some snorkeling. I am a BRAND NEW PADI OW Diver, so any insight is greatly appreciated.
Yeah, you book your own flights, and you do pay extra for flying scuba gear but it's worth it to me to dive my gear. You'll probly get one bag checked free, pay $30 each way for the second bag, and be allowed a free 40# roll-on plus personal backpack - depending on which airline you use. The dive op probly has gear for rent and you might get those rates from the travel agent for this package; I dunno as I would not consider it.

Now ground transfers is a red flag for Cozumel! After clearing Immigration, you gather your bags, clear Customs, and then are met by a horde of lying time share salesmen who will ask you where you are going and try to get you into their offices there, waste your time, and set you up with a tour of an overpriced membership in the worst real estate investment possible. Just say "no thanks" and barge thru; if you have to do it twice, growl! :mad:

Turn right, look for the van ticket sales off to the left, buy the tickets for maybe $7US each, then go outside ask the guys there for the Hotel Cozumel van. You'll be directed to yours where your bags may be on the bottom six deep (breakable items are in your backpack right?) and when the van is totally crammed packed - then you leave. The van may stop along the way to drop others off at other locations so make sure your bag doesn't leave the van prematurely; I get out and watch at every stop, but then I'm a real cynic. You'll be at your hotel soon enough.

Taxis cannot pick up at the terminal. You will see some with little luggage hiking across the parking lot to where they can pickup, but that's too far for me to carry my stuff.

A rental car for this package would be a waste I think, but if you wanted one, get full insurance - don't trust your credit card coverage. There is more to that story but I won't go on here as I doubt anyone will want a car for the week. If you want one for a day or so, Isis is a local renter very popular with the Coz regular. There is a cheap one at the Barracuda hotel I would never rent from.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a max number of spots available for this Invasion. It is unlikely I can swing it, but if I am able to I would not know till near the final paytment deadline.

Yes at this time we are limited to 100 rooms. We may be able to get more rooms in the future but there is no guarantee. We will be limiting the number of divers to 200 as this is the maximum number our dive op can handle comfortably.

The only way to guarantee your spot at the invasion is to call and make a deposit. We cannot have unlimited space and time for obvious reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom