Introverts and liveaboards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One thing I'd add - and it's because I'm an insomniac. Most liveaboards I've been on I've had the entire boat to myself after about 9PM except for passing the occasional crewman during a shift change. On one I even slept up on the flybridge several nights, it has soft cushioned benches. Once there was a louder group of people who partied in the lounge until late but upstairs on deck I didn't even hear it.

two people will be in the salon editing/comparing their photos
More like 8 on one trip. But there was an exceptional photographer on board shooting with a lot of high end equipment. I'd frequently see just his feet sticking out from under a coral head. We all enjoyed the results.

Agree with other comments - you can find quiet if you want it in most cases. Among the liveaboards I've done, one included both of the following: (1) an assigned roommate I didn't know in advance and (2) a huge group of 16 very social folks who liked to have fun. I had a great time and found plenty of quiet time to recharge my batteries to make sure I was social when I needed to be :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, get a private cabin.
........& come out for 3 things only--------food/potty time/& dive time.........Seriously, you ought to do good(well,....make that WELL, just trying to put a local flavor in there)........

Last edited:
But seriously, after years of liveaboard diving I've found that people will interact with you as much or as little as YOU want, and the other people will want some "alone time" throughout the week as well. Liveaboard divers tend to get this, and I find that most trips are comprised of 2/3rds to 3/4th experienced liveaboard divers.

I hadn't thought about it, but that's been exactly my experience as well. The only exceptions are the occasional sub-groups who insist on socializing loudly or blasting music; they seem to be oblivious to how they're affecting the space of those around them. Fortunately, many trips have no such groups and when I have found myself on board with some like that, it reduces my options but I still have ways to get away.

I have been on quite a few liveaboards and am an introvert and find there are always places inside and outside where one can be alone. The only time that might be an exception is at meals- I think you might have a hard time finding a way to be alone or just with your partner then but usually there is enough conversation about the dives, where everyone is from, etc that is is not taxing to keep up with the conversation. Besides, if your buddy doesn't want to do a dive, it is good to have some idea of who you might like to dive with instead. You will not typically run into people doing too much drinking, making a lot of noise, etc because they have been diving too and are just as tired. I had a problem once with very loud music and enlisted the aid of the crew who took care of it. The one good thing about a live aboard is that people are not generally overly interested in drinking because it will impact their dive. I would also recommend you get a cabin with your own bathroom. I hope you go- I think you will like it.

Back
Top Bottom