Introductions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AnthonyLM

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

Anthony here and I am brand new to diving. I've always loved the ocean but because of some irrational fears (mostly shark weeks fault) I never pulled the trigger to get certified. For my 9 year old daughters spring break last year we went to Maui and did lots of snorkeling and tried Snuba. We were both instantly hooked and we've done a few more Snuba dives since then. I did some research and found out that you can get certified as young as 10, so I promised my daughter for her 10th birthday present we would both get certified.

So i'm going to suck it up and am actually very excited to start this new adventure. She turns 10 in March and we start our OW classes the day after she turns 10. For spring break this April we are back out to Maui and i've already booked a couple of boat dives.

I'm an avid photographer (hobby not profession) for well over a decade so one of the things I'm very excited about is to take that passion underwater.

That's it for now!

- Anthony

OK. I BUCK THE TREND. Don't get her certified at age 10. Lots of snorkeling/free diving FOR SURE.
Many on SB who are distinguished pros have told of their stories of teaching their kids on scuba at like age 8.
Lots of threads as well about "my daughter" who got certified at age 10 and "is a fish". And no problems.
No stories EVER like: Geez, my kid died on scuba and I'm trying to get along now. OR: ****, I couldn't save my mom when we dived and we both just finished our OW course together.
Everyone on SB knows I hate the "early" certification of kids. Do what you want and listen to the other posts.
10 years old and scuba diving---really? YES, according to PADI and other agencies.
As a school teacher and parent--AND recalling my mind-set at Jr. High (and 10 is LESS THAN JR. HIGH)--I was NOT ready for scuba. As a Grade 6 teacher for decades (thousands of students including my own step daughters), The most "mature" kids are NOT ready to take on the questionable situations SCUBA has to order. Everything goes as planned and fine--good. Wgat about an panicked diver at the surface or under water?
Just my take. Everyone on SB knows my take on this.

OK. I BUCK THE TREND. Don't get her certified at age 10. Lots of snorkeling/free diving FOR SURE.
Many on SB who are distinguished pros have told of their stories of teaching their kids on scuba at like age 8.
Lots of threads as well about "my daughter" who got certified at age 10 and "is a fish". And no problems.
No stories EVER like: Geez, my kid died on scuba and I'm trying to get along now. OR: ****, I couldn't save my mom when we dived and we both just finished our OW course together.
Everyone on SB knows I hate the "early" certification of kids. Do what you want and listen to the other posts.
10 years old and scuba diving---really? YES, according to PADI and other agencies.
As a school teacher and parent--AND recalling my mind-set at Jr. High (and 10 is LESS THAN JR. HIGH)--I was NOT ready for scuba. As a Grade 6 teacher for decades (thousands of students including my own step daughters), The most "mature" kids are NOT ready to take on the questionable situations SCUBA has to order. Everything goes as planned and fine--good. Wgat about an panicked diver at the surface or under water?
Just my take. Everyone on SB knows my take on this.

Tom, I very much appreciate your feedback and point of view. Like many decisions in the last 10 years of my daughters life, taking this step took a lot of thought and research on my part. I've tried to take extra precautionary steps where possible such as having dedicated DM's during our certification and boat dives. For our first 2 dives I really just want her to get used to the gear so the plan is to stay around 15-20'. We have done a number of Snuba dives progressing down to 20' already, so I have some data points to build on with regards to her ability both physical and mental.
I have no desire to "throw us in the deep end", I am in no rush to go as deep as we can, and my strategy is to ease in to this. It sounds like you've been an advocate on your position for some time so i'm sure you've heard the argument that every kid is different and there are probably 16 year olds that aren't ready to scuba. I am not trying to change your point of view and frankly appreciate you advocating your position.
I have assessed my child as best I can, consulted her doctors both physical and mental. My daughter is passionate about the ocean and and I do believe my she is ready for this next step, however my assessment will continue every step of the way and we will slow things down or take pause as needed. If we need to spend the next year diving at 10-' so be it.

I say all of this not to try and convince you of my point of view, but really to ask you as a seasoned diver if you have any suggestions of more precautionary steps I could or should take I would love to hear them.

Sincerely,
Anthony

Tom, I very much appreciate your feedback and point of view. Like many decisions in the last 10 years of my daughters life, taking this step took a lot of thought and research on my part. I've tried to take extra precautionary steps where possible such as having dedicated DM's during our certification and boat dives. For our first 2 dives I really just want her to get used to the gear so the plan is to stay around 15-20'. We have done a number of Snuba dives progressing down to 20' already, so I have some data points to build on with regards to her ability both physical and mental.
I have no desire to "throw us in the deep end", I am in no rush to go as deep as we can, and my strategy is to ease in to this. It sounds like you've been an advocate on your position for some time so i'm sure you've heard the argument that every kid is different and there are probably 16 year olds that aren't ready to scuba. I am not trying to change your point of view and frankly appreciate you advocating your position.
I have assessed my child as best I can, consulted her doctors both physical and mental. My daughter is passionate about the ocean and and I do believe my she is ready for this next step, however my assessment will continue every step of the way and we will slow things down or take pause as needed. If we need to spend the next year diving at 10-' so be it.

I say all of this not to try and convince you of my point of view, but really to ask you as a seasoned diver if you have any suggestions of more precautionary steps I could or should take I would love to hear them.

Sincerely,
Anthony
Yes, I have often heard that maturity varies a lot (at any age). My advice would be for each of you to get Rescue Certification as soon as you are familiar with the equipment and are reasonably comfortable with diving basics.
Rescue techniques apparently were part of the OW course decades ago.
Particularly important are the procedures in dealing with panicked divers (on the surface or at depth).
Prior to that, I advise that you don't dive together, but buddy up with someone who possesses these skills or is at least quite experienced. Or a group of 3 including the experienced buddy.
A fairly large % of the threads and posts on this subject are written by dive pros or very experienced divers, so the child in question has that advantage right from the get go, and a built in experienced buddy.

Yes, I have often heard that maturity varies a lot (at any age). My advice would be for each of you to get Rescue Certification as soon as you are familiar with the equipment and are reasonably comfortable with diving basics.
Rescue techniques apparently were part of the OW course decades ago.
Particularly important are the procedures in dealing with panicked divers (on the surface or at depth).
Prior to that, I advise that you don't dive together, but buddy up with someone who possesses these skills or is at least quite experienced. Or a group of 3 including the experienced buddy.
A fairly large % of the threads and posts on this subject are written by dive pros or very experienced divers, so the child in question has that advantage right from the get go, and a built in experienced buddy.

I will look deeper in to the rescue certification. For our OW certification she will have a dedicated instructor to her. For our 2 days of diving in Maui we will have a dedicated guide for the 2 of us.

Appreciate the advice and information.

- Anthony

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom