Introduction to drysuit diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ucfdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Is there a good site or video online about drysuit diving? I just purchased one, never having dove one before. I've got unlimited access to a swimming pool, so I'll do lots of practice there, but would like to at least learn what I'm supposed to do before that.

You'll get a lot of opinions here.

When I got mine, I asked my usual dive buddy if I needed to take a class (he's an MSDT). Bottom line was no way, unless you ever need to rent one. In that case, some shops may require a cert card.

What you'll really need to know is how to recover if you start going up feet first. You need to know how to remove and install the inflater hose underwater. You need to know how to deal with the seals (both where to put them/adjust them and how to care for them) and the suit itself (zipper/underwear/boot/socks).

There are two camps on buoyancy. One, and the one that DUI and PADI says to do, is to use the drysuit for buoyancy and use your BC/wing for surface buoyancy only. Everyone that I know uses their BC for buoyancy and puts enough air in their drysuit to get rid of the squeeze. It ends up being a combination of both for buoyancy.

if you are unsure then the simple answer is yes.

If you have expirienced buddies that will teach you and guide you through it, then that may suffice, but it doesn't sound like that is the case.

Find an experienced drysuit diving buddy to teach you.

Its not a good idea to try it solo in a pool with no supervision.

If you can't find a buddy as much as i hate it then take a course :(

Is there a good site or video on line about dry suit diving? I just purchased one, never having dove one before. I've got unlimited access to a swimming pool, so I'll do lots of practice there, but would like to at least learn what I'm supposed to do before that.

There is a book and a DVD that a pretty good. I am not saying they are a substitute for proper training but they provide information about different dry suits and diving with the suits.

Dry Suit Diving in Depth

Hammerhead Press: Scuba Diving Books, Commercial Diving Books, Scuba Diving Videos & DVDs, Marine Biology DVD Video, Deep-Sea Diving Books

Find an experienced drysuit diving buddy to teach you.

Its not a good idea to try it solo in a pool with no supervision.

If you can't find a buddy as much as i hate it then take a course :(
yikes, I refuse to give padi even $0.01 of my money! :rofl3:

I've got a few buddies that have gone full cave before me, I'll bribe them with a 6 pack and dinner to dive with me the first few times :D

If I might add my little 2 cents here: I think String is right when saying that it's not good to do any scuba practice in a pool without supervision, it does not have to be a certified lifeguard but at least someone should always be present in case something happens. You can drown with your face one inch from the surface if the conditions are right (or wrong) :11:.

With over 500 dives under your belt, having been around DS divers and also watched an instructional video I would not expect to academically learn a lot in a course. What you do need to do is make some simulated recoveries from inversion, stuck valve and so forth with a seasoned DS diver as a spotter.

Plan on it taking 10-20 dives before the drysuit is second nature and you feel you have returned to your prior level of control. Part of that experience will be getting your weight and distribution sorted out.

Start in a pool or sheltered open water with some challenges and don't go too deep too soon. As I'm sure you realize your suit will represent an air bladder. You don't have nearly as much venting control as you do with your BC so you need to make depth changes with care or Boyle's law will come to haunt you.

Pete

If I might add my little 2 cents here: I think String is right when saying that it's not good to do any scuba practice in a pool without supervision, it does not have to be a certified lifeguard but at least someone should always be present in case something happens. You can drown with your face one inch from the surface if the conditions are right (or wrong) :11:.

Just to highlight this we had a VERY close encounter in a pool here 2 weeks ago. Someone on their own practicing with drysuit (not even learning).
Got inverted at the surface, was unable to right, lost the reg in mouth so was stuck upside down underwater with no reg. Extremely close call and was very lucky a few of us happened to glance over and see the thrashing.
No matter how many dives you have it can still catch you out.
I'd go as far as to say it was the most serious diving incident ive seen in my life and it was in 12ft of water in a pool - the person involved was VERY lucky that people got there fast enough and got them out of it.

As i said if you can find experienced buddys then train with those. If you can't then as much as i think they're a waste of time then do the course (it doesnt have to be padi). I really wouldnt consider doing it on your own no matter how much experience of wet diving you have.

Back
Top Bottom