Introduction & Rescue Diver Cost

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi All -

My name is Dan and I've been diving since 2001. I've done a number of big dive trips over the years, including Florida, Bonaire, Saint Lucia, and Cozumel. I was also a member of my University's SCUBA club (Univ. of CT) and did a bunch of dives in New England. I now live in Charlottesville, Virginia but have yet to dive locally.

My wife certified in 2007 and was with me for Cozumel and Saint Lucia. Both she and I have our open water and advanced open water. I'm also Nitrox certified.

Our Saint Lucia trip was two months back and we both agreed on the flight home that we wouldn't wait until we could afford another Caribbean vacation to go diving - that we would explore local opportunities. We also agreed to look into the rescue diver certification cost. I think, especially if we are planning to dive without a dive master, that this would be important.

That said, our local dive shop charges $120 for their first aid course (they mandate that as a per-requisite for the rescue diver course) and $380 for the rescue diver course. So $500 pp to go from advanced to rescue, inclusive of the pool fees and course materials but exclusive of dive site fees and any equipment rental.

If thats on par with the industry, then I guess we'll have to consider whether the cost is in our budget. I did a quick google search and found a dive shop (not in my area) offering the same course for $125 for all instruction and pool time + $66 for the course material.

Can anyone tell me what they paid to go from advanced to rescue? Also, I'd be interested in getting some ideas of what others have paid for the dry suit course.

I paid about 350 for rescue diver. 170 for the crew pack and about 180 for instruction/gear rental. They didn't have a discount for having all of my own gear, which was annoying, but my options were limited. I already had EFR through work, but if I would have gotten it through them I would have ended up at around $500.

So I guess I'm saying your cost are comparable to mine. They might be cheaper in busier areas, but those shops might do a lot more business, and therefore be able to offer their courses for less money.

Hi All -

My name is Dan and I've been diving since 2001. I've done a number of big dive trips over the years, including Florida, Bonaire, Saint Lucia, and Cozumel. I was also a member of my University's SCUBA club (Univ. of CT) and did a bunch of dives in New England. I now live in Charlottesville, Virginia but have yet to dive locally.

My wife certified in 2007 and was with me for Cozumel and Saint Lucia. Both she and I have our open water and advanced open water. I'm also Nitrox certified.

Our Saint Lucia trip was two months back and we both agreed on the flight home that we wouldn't wait until we could afford another Caribbean vacation to go diving - that we would explore local opportunities. We also agreed to look into the rescue diver certification cost. I think, especially if we are planning to dive without a dive master, that this would be important.

That said, our local dive shop charges $120 for their first aid course (they mandate that as a per-requisite for the rescue diver course) and $380 for the rescue diver course. So $500 pp to go from advanced to rescue, inclusive of the pool fees and course materials but exclusive of dive site fees and any equipment rental.

If thats on par with the industry, then I guess we'll have to consider whether the cost is in our budget. I did a quick google search and found a dive shop (not in my area) offering the same course for $125 for all instruction and pool time + $66 for the course material.

Can anyone tell me what they paid to go from advanced to rescue? Also, I'd be interested in getting some ideas of what others have paid for the dry suit course.

Sounds about right..there is no requirement for pool in a rescue course. An instr can offer it and use the time in the pool to evaluate the students.

Back
Top Bottom