Intro to Tech

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peregrine can't tell you your gas level though and the price I paid was less than half what a Peregrine costs. I like it for the digital display.
It's not for everyone. In fact I have not seen anyone else with one. I do get lot's of people coming over to look at it when I am diving. A lot of people like the display. Cressi do not market it very well really.
Gas levels?

Oh, you mean the Periguine doesn’t do AI (air integration), so you look at your trusty SPG(s) — backgas and decompression cylinder(s).

Air integration on deco and bailout cylinders… just say no. You may need to give them to someone else.

Gas levels?

Oh, you mean it doesn’t do AI (air integration), so you look at your trusty SPG.

Yes.

So my TDI instructor said the Cressi console is a suitable backup as it can be used as a bottom time as it gives you depth time bar / psi. Use it with slate and tables. It is not a DC. I already did deco planning with BSAC sports diving so not new to it but it has been awhile.

I will most likely get another Perdix AI if I want to do regular deep deco dives after I have done the TDI Course. Most of my dives are in recreational NDL dives but some dive sites I want to do TDI nitrox / deco or similar tec deco certificate is required. A couple of my dive buddies have already done the TDI course and there are some dives we would like to do together.

Secondly I want to do the TDI advanced nitrox and deco course. First I will do a side mount course followed by around at least 15 side mount dives immediately after I get my side mount certificate. Then I will do the TDI course followed by another week of deco dives. Some will be to 45m depth but a lot will be to shallower 30 - 35m depths. So I have allowed 3 weeks to complete both courses with the extra diving.
YMMV, but you likely want to conduct significantly more than 15 SM dives before you take the AN/DP combo. Learning to dive SM is a bit akin to learning to dive all over again; the basics are the same, but it'll take a while to figure out the details. Taking AN/DP while still learning to use your SM system optimally sounds like a ticket to board the struggle-bus.

My SM instructor suggested logging 50 dives before moving onward with any further courses.

YMMV, but you likely want to conduct significantly more than 15 SM dives before you take the AN/DP combo. Learning to dive SM is a bit akin to learning to dive all over again; the basics are the same, but it'll take a while to figure out the details. Taking AN/DP while still learning to use your SM system optimally sounds like a ticket to board the struggle-bus.

My SM instructor suggested logging 50 dives before moving onward with any further courses.

Thanks. I am doing the SM course followed immediately by 15 dives over 5 days. I will only take the TDI Course if I am comfortable with my side mount diving. I'm not in a rush. I am not interested in taking a course if I would be struggling with SM then adding a stage tank as well. Also my instructor would not teach AN/DP to a diver who is not proficient in their back twins or side mount configuration.

We already have that understanding with each other.

If you know you want to do technical diving some day, the first thing to do is to find someone you can trust who can evaluate your present skill level and recommend a path custom designed to you to best find your way to that goal.

Sage advice which I am following. An instructor I have done previous courses with and have done many recreational dives with.

Looks like this thread is turning into a gas versus bubble model discussion.

Intro-to-tech is all about skills and all dives are done in shallow water. If you can do shutdown drill at 6m/20ft, you can do it at deeper depths as well. The hardest depth is 3m to 6m (10ft to 20ft).
Decompression models are something for a next course.

There are pretty good dive centres on the East Coast of Malaysia for Tec diving, though I will most likely do my Tec course abroad, probably Thailand or Indonesia. I assume my time doing Intro to Tec will be accredited for when I do the actual Tec course?
If you go north, you can find several good instructors in the south of Thailand.

And yes, the time you spend on doing intro-to-tech will be accredited for in the following courses: since the instructor doesn't have to waste time on basic skills, the focus can be on learning new ones.
If you like the ITT course, get a set of doubles and keep practicing back home. Every dive in the new gear will give you experience that will benefit you during a next course.

Yes.

So my TDI instructor said the Cressi console is a suitable backup as it can be used as a bottom time as it gives you depth time bar / psi. Use it with slate and tables. It is not a DC. I already did deco planning with BSAC sports diving so not new to it but it has been awhile.

I will most likely get another Perdix AI if I want to do regular deep deco dives after I have done the TDI Course. Most of my dives are in recreational NDL dives but some dive sites I want to do TDI nitrox / deco or similar tec deco certificate is required. A couple of my dive buddies have already done the TDI course and there are some dives we would like to do together.

Are you expecting to use that console while diving SM? You may find it less than optimal. Consoles and SM don’t mix. There was some other diver here expecting to use a console SM.

Looks like this thread is turning into a gas versus bubble model discussion.

Intro-to-tech is all about skills and all dives are done in shallow water. If you can do shutdown drill at 6m/20ft, you can do it at deeper depths as well. The hardest depth is 3m to 6m (10ft to 20ft).
Decompression models are something for a next course.

If you go north, you can find several good instructors in the south of Thailand.

And yes, the time you spend on doing intro-to-tech will be accredited for in the following courses: since the instructor doesn't have to waste time on basic skills, the focus can be on learning new ones.
If you like the ITT course, get a set of doubles and keep practicing back home. Every dive in the new gear will give you experience that will benefit you during a next course.
Spot on. At this level, I'd also say that it's quite handy to get students simulating predetermined stops and runtime so the instructor can see if they are where they need to be, when they need to be there. A simple bottom timer, or DC in gauge would suffice for intro.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom