Intro to tec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I apologize in advance for this stupid question.....

What are the advantages of 'tec' diving and how are the dives different?

In a nutshell, Longer Bottom Times and access to more dive sites.

Dives are different because technical dives are run within very specific predetermined limits, therefore dive planning is more detailed and execution more controlled.

Oh, and not a stupid question at all... Here at TDI HQ, we've been asked to explain the exact same thing about once a week since 1994... take care and dive safe.

Although technical diving involves different gas mixes, additional tanks, and much more rigorous planning, I think almost ANYBODY would benefit from a good "intro to tech" class. Such classes introduce some gas management, a little better look at decompression and ascent strategies, and a big step up in personal diving skills and emergency procedures. Apologies to Steve for my laziness -- I didn't look up whether TDI's ITT can only be taken in doubles, but some similar classes can even be taken in a single tank, as an introduction to the skills and standards required of technical divers. It's solid education, and well worth while.

Although technical diving involves different gas mixes, additional tanks, and much more rigorous planning, I think almost ANYBODY would benefit from a good "intro to tech" class. Such classes introduce some gas management, a little better look at decompression and ascent strategies, and a big step up in personal diving skills and emergency procedures.

Agree completely. Tec courses make you a better diver, whether or not you want to engage in deeper and/or decompression diving. TS&M's husband has a good phrase for people who undergo the training, but don't engage in regular tec diving: "tecreational divers". So I guess that is what I am.

TDI's intro does not require doubles and it doesn' t require mixed gas. If I am thinking right you can do TDI deco on a H valved single tank.

If I am thinking right you can do TDI deco on a H valved single tank.

TDI may say it's ok, but that was a really heated argument here several months ago...some of the instructors said no way...double 40's ok but single 80 and a 40 pony no way...not even a single 80 (or larger) with an H valve....where is the logic there?

Steve

Ultimately it is a redundancy question. As mammals, we have a need for air-like gas to breath, even while we are scuba diving. Just like the spare tire in the trunk of your car, some level of redundancy is a good idea for our breathing supply while diving.

There are three major components to a regulator system; a supply of gas, a first stage of pressure reduction to reduce the varying tank level to a consistent intermediate pressure, and a second stage for final pressure reduction to a breathable level. When we add an octo to our regulator system, we now have a redundant second stage, yet we still share the gas supply and first stage. If we use an H-valve, then we have upped the redundancy to now have two first and two second stages, with the only shared component being the gas supply. Finally, if we add a pony bottle or isolatable doubles to the mix, now we have true total redundancy, with completely separate breathing sources.

It's a risk management question. Shallow dives, with a buddy, no overhead restrictions or deco obligations, an octo should be sufficient to deal with any issues that come up, including a total failure of your or your buddy's breathing source, such as an out of air situation, tank neck o-ring failure or burst disk rupture, or the failure of the first or second stage.

Adding an H-valve lets you address the failure of either a first or second stage, by letting you shut off the failed system and still retaining gas in the tank to be delivered by the other first//second stage system. Of course, that redundancy also includes practice and the ability to reach back, locate and close the tank valve on the failed side before the tank empties itself. And of course, losing the tank o-ring or burst disk still results in an empty tank.

Finally, having that separate pony bottle, or an isolation manifold on your doubles, gives you the greatest level of protection in the event of any sort of failure in your breathing supply. Of course, the diver must be able to react, and reach back, find and shut off the isolation valve in a set of double to accomplish this. A pony bottle set-up, on the other hand, requires no action at all on the divers part except switching the regulator in your mouth.

And correspondingly, as you add more gear, you add cost, complexity and a greater maintenance requirement, but that should all be part of yoru risk assesment and management plan.

Hope this helps.

A pony bottle set-up, on the other hand, requires no action at all on the divers part except switching the regulator in your mouth.

Assuming that the bottle is on and not charged and off. I was taught to not leave the valve open especially when this is your deco gas. As a safety, which isn't really what the thread is talking about, I could see leaving it open.

By definition, a pony is a safety bottle, and is not considered as part of the dive plan. A deco bottle, on the other hand, is factored into the dive plan.

There are arguments either way on the on/off practice, and there is no right or wrong on the matter. The key is that the diver comes home alive and healthy after every dive. If you need something in some position then who is anyone else to argue with that.

Happy diving!

TDI may say it's ok, but that was a really heated argument here several months ago...some of the instructors said no way...double 40's ok but single 80 and a 40 pony no way...not even a single 80 (or larger) with an H valve....where is the logic there?

Steve

I believe the logic resides in our philosophy of allowing our instructor-trainers (and the people they certify to instruct) latitude within standards to show preference for a configuration that is best suited to local conditions.

The intro to tech course is just that -- an introduction. During that introduction, the instructor has a responsibility to explain his or her reasons for suggestions and recommendations as to the most suitable method to ensure "bailout" gas... a reserve for contingencies... at "entry-level" technical programs. Some divers opt to stick with a smaller equipment package because they plan shorter, less complex dives.

For example, I teach technical program in a variety of conditions and on my home turf recommend twins with a manifold; however, in more benign conditions, I've had students complete programs such as deco diver (Advanced Nitrox combined with Decompression Procedures) while wearing a large volume single with an H valve.

The starting volume of gas is one critical factor. The whole team is governed by the team member who is carrying the least number of litres or cubic feet of back gas. Therefore, the only "issue" arises when you have one punter with a single and his buddies with doubles holding approximately twice the volume.

Last edited by a moderator:
By definition, a pony is a safety bottle, and is not considered as part of the dive plan. A deco bottle, on the other hand, is factored into the dive plan.

There are arguments either way on the on/off practice, and there is no right or wrong on the matter. The key is that the diver comes home alive and healthy after every dive. If you need something in some position then who is anyone else to argue with that.

Happy diving!

OK you got me. :) I forget that once you go tech life changes. It is no longer a pony but a deco bottle. It's no longer a tank but a cylinder. You no longer go OOA but OOG (actually you had better have a good reason for OOG). And most important, when diving the US/Canada waters you have to know which side is which.. BTW, the brown waters are Canadian. Right Steve? :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom