Intro: New Forum Member PSD in Connecticut

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dittrimd

Force Fin Diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello everyone, my Name is Mark Dittrich and I just recently joined this forum. Gary saw one of my posts and invited me to introduce myself.

I live in Coventry, Connecticut which is just east of Hartford near the University of Connecticut. I am a member of the Coventry Volunteer Fire Association I am also licensed paramedic although our service is only BLS. I am an active diver on the Tolland County Dive Team (I also webmaster both of these sites thus the links). I have been diving since freshman year (1989) in college at the Massachusetts Maritime Academy when I earned my PADI Open Water certification. Once joining the team I earned my PADI Advanced open water. I have been diving with the team since joining in 2000. Since then I have tried to make every training session, usually once a month. I also enjoy diving outside the dive team but I have so many hobbies in addition to being the father to two girls age 7 and 2 as you can guess I am pretty busy. I am also a two way radio hobbyist focusing on public safety communications. It is safe to say my girls; my life revolves around public safety activities.

I joined this forum to get some information primarily about gear for PS divers. In the short time I have been looking around it is obvious there is much more here than just info on gear. I look forward to learning and interacting with everyone here.

My overall philosophy about diving and in particular PS diving is there are no absolutes. What works for one may not work for someone else but always try to keep and open mind. Every diver will have there own proverbial line in the sand as to comfort level. I have had the opportunity to interact with divers of all types and back ground. I have taken diving concepts and techniques, gear configuration and even mental perspectives and tried ones that I thought would work for me. Some I kept others I did not and some I morphed into my own little ideas. I will try to share anything I can to try and help anyone. I will offer what has worked for me and what has not only as useful information and never as and absolute.

Thanks for your time and I look forward to talking with you.

Mark

Welcome over to the dark side. :D

Gary D.

Welcome aboard mark,
my name is Dick Hagen and Im the instructor for serveral dive teams in minn. they are SOs
Have a good one, grumpie.......

Welcome aboard, there's tons of info already here and more posted just about every day.

Be safe!!

Paul

Welcome aboard Mark! I hope you find the time you spend here informative and worthwhile.

Dan

P.S. - I am surprised that Gary would invite another fire guy over to the sight! Pretty soon, we will probably outnumber the LEO's!!!!!!

Boater Dan:
Welcome aboard Mark! I hope you find the time you spend here informative and worthwhile.

Dan

P.S. - I am surprised that Gary would invite another fire guy over to the sight! Pretty soon, we will probably outnumber the LEO's!!!!!!

It's easier to take all of you out with one shot if we get all of you in one spot. :rofl3:

Gary D.

See here in Connecticut we have solved the problem of FD Divers and PD divers getting along together. We just don't work/dive together!! Actually the CT State Police has a dive team for recover of evidence and stuff like that. I believe there are some police departments which also have divers. Most of the rescue diving in CT is done by FD paid or vollies. I did one recovery operation with the State Police dive team. It was +2 F with a -11 wind chill. They operate at a much different pace than we do for obvious reasons. They had top of the line gear and a great setup for vehicle/trailer. I am not sure how many members they actually have on their team. I know they are based out of Colchester but covering our state can be difficult. I think that is why you see so many FD with dive teams. All kidding aside every fire and ems person knows that we could not do what we do without the protection of our PD. Just too many nut jobs out there waiting to cause harm. I have had my fair share of runins with these individuals and time after time our police officers have been there to help us out.

As long as it is all in good fun I can take it and give it as well!!

Mark

Welcome! Sending a separate PM to you.

We have a working relationship between Fire and LEO's that is unreal. If half the departments in this country got along like we do it would be a much better place and the service we offer the public would be much better. :wink:
Gary D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom