Intro and advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dsteding

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
New to the board-thought I'd introduce myself and throw out a request for advice.

Grew up in the ocean (surfing), got my OW this summer, and have made the decision to take the plung into the icy waters of Puget Sound. With that in mind, I wanted to seek out some general advice-any thoughts would be much appreciated.

1) Equipment. Beyond my mask and snorkel I have none. Therefore, I will need to get some, so I wanted to ask what your rig recommendations would be. First would be a BCD, I got certified in, uh, much warmer water (in Thailand) so I'm not sure if I should be shifting gears from the regular jacket type BCDs. Also, back inflation, weight integrated, bladdity blah blah-any thoughts are appreciated. Along those lines, I've researched regs a fair amount, and plan on diving in a dry suit (meaning orientation or cert to learn that new skill) and any pointers on how to integrate regs, BCDs, dry suits and the like would be appreciated. I would like to build a setup that I can travel with-warm water won't completely be off the list here. I'm planning on buying new/used gear over the next month or so. Along those lines, I am 6'1, about 215, so if people have used gear . . . send me a PM.

2) Any other thoughts/stories about how you got into diving in Puget Sound and the surrounding areas. I dig exploring, love the ocean, and since I moved "up" here (uh, I can't say from where, but I promise I haven't driven home prices up-I rent) I miss being in the ocean. I haven't been able to get diving out of my mind since this summer, and the addiction has gotten to the point where I need to do something about it.

Finally, I fly fish a fair amount, and have a drift boat and tons of gear. If anyone is willing to give me some pointers, maybe show me around, I'd be happy to return the favor by teaching them to cast and fly fish if people have interest in that.

Once again, thanks in advance for any information or thoughts.

-Doug

Welcome to the board, Doug.

Glad you got the itch and live somewhere that allows you to scratch it. Puget Sound offers numerous opportunities for quality diving, as does Vancouver and BC which aren't far away. Most of it is amazingly cold, however, so a drysuit would seem to be an extremely prudent first step. A drysuit doesn't need to complicate matters that significantly compared to what you experienced in your OW class. Its one additional hose and a number of techniques that will become second nature very quickly. It need not play a huge role in impacting your other choices with respect to BC, regs, etc.

I don't dive with a BC, so won't offer you much advice on options except to suggest you consider back-inflate models. My primary bit of input might be to note that there are a wide variety of local dive shops in the Seattle area, many of which have great reputations. While I understand sensitivity to price versus ebay and internet shops, and those remain options, still you may want to begin developing a relationship with a local shop. You'll need annual maintenance on regs, you'll need odds and ends, you may want to take some classes, and the shops also book local charters and set up trips that can really help you discover some of the diversity the area has to offer. Plus of course you'll need fills! So, hooking up with one of the local shops would seem to be an excellent way to find buddies and get a feel for local diving opportunities.

Plus, of course, ScubaBoard isn't a bad place to find lots of input. More than you ever expected, in fact! :wink: (If you fill out your profile and tell people where you're located geographically, they may be able to offer more detailed advice regarding dive shops and charter operators.)

Hope you enjoy the place,

Doc

There are only 2 kinds of divers in WA: those who dive drysuits and those who will dive dry suits. Before you get any gear (other then your personal gear; fins, booties, gloves) I would suggest taking another OW class here or an advanced/nitrox or rescue class. This will allow you to become familiar with the type of diving we have around here and expose you to different kinds of gear. As far as I know everyone who dives BP/W has made the switch, so if you can afford it I'd definatly look into it. A shop owner should be able to help you decide what kind of gear package will fit your needs and explain some of the gear idiosyncrasies around here that you probably won't find much in the tropics/resorts such as a 7' primary hose. My main point; go dive with rental gear, see what works and what doesn't, poke around here, poke around scuba retailer websites, ask questions, and do a lot of observing. I've learned a lot just watching my instructor and asking questions about his techniques/gear. I've also started an xcell spreadsheet w/ breif gear reviews to help me decide what to buy later.

As far as fly fishing; I sent you a PM.

Doug -- welcome to diving in the PNW! I got certified here, and although I swore up and down I would NEVER dive in Puget Sound, peer pressure won and I did my OW checkout dives here, and haven't looked back.

A dry suit is a very nice thing in our water, and I think I can say that dry gloves are worth while, too. But managing dry suit buoyancy is a different thing from diving in warm water with a wetsuit, so getting some professional help on sort out the dry suit is, I think, a good investment. If you hook up with a shop to do that, you also get hooked up with a group of people through that shop with whom to dive. There are lots of active divers here!

As far as gear goes, you can probably find anything that anybody in the world is diving somewhere here. If you haven't had experience with back inflates or BP/W setups, you might want to play with them before committing the money to a purchase. Various shops and/or Scubaboard members may be able to help here. The important thing is to dive equipment you like and are comfortable using.

I think you'll be surprised and delighted at the diversity and profusion of sea life here, and at the number of easily accessible dive sites. Not to mention what I have found to be a friendly and supportive local diving community, very willing to welcome newcomers.

Thanks to all for the quick responses. Good, solid advice, I already feel like I am getting some direction.

Following Doc's gentle nudge, I've filled out my profile, there should be enough there to give you all a feel for my background. Don't go hating because I am from California, and, I am an, uh, errr, attorney. Give me a chance, I promise I'll buy the first round.

I agree on the local dive shop side of things, and am modifying my plan a bit. Drysuit is a first purchase-after growing up surfing as far north as extreme northern California, I have no love for icy cold water, but I'll tolerate it as a necessary evil . . . I think trying equipment out and getting comfortable with things is also a great suggestion, the back inflate BCs and BP/W setups seem to have serious advantages, but I feel I need to get comfortable in the area first before making a commitment on the direction I want to go. My dive master in Thailand was fairly conservative, and I think that is the only way to go in this sport. Baby steps.

I'm downtown Seattle, if anyone has contacts/good experiences with local shops, please send me a PM, I don't want to turn this into an advertising thread, but I certainly would appreciate any local introductions.

Thanks again.

-Doug

Welcome to Puget Sound. I've been told that none other than Jacques Cousteau (sp?) considered Puget Sound the second best diving in the world. Don't know if it's true, but it is great diving.

In terms of gear, as has already been mentioned, there is a diversity of opinions. Get what works for you. I have a back-inflate BC and love it. Others dive a BP/W.

Lots of people will suggest a dry suit. I'm currently a wet suit diver, and have yet to get uncomfortably cold. (That may be as much due to my body type and the internal furnace I happen to have...and also due to the fact that I got a custom-fit wet suit instead of off-the-shelf.) While I may not have 500 dives under my belt, I have yet to abort a dive due to cold. I may end up with a dry suit simply for value: A dry suit will last longer than a wetsuit.

Another resource I would recommend is Northwest Diver. It's a board like this, but smaller, and focused on the northwest. Lots of the same folks that you'll find here are there...but it's a good resource.

There are other websites that offer good information. I have links to some of them on my scuba website. (It's in my signature. Go to the "Resources" page.)

Hope you find the diving here as good as we all have.

Happy Diving!

Welcome to the PNW waters.
Good advice so far. There are many of us that get together and dive often.
So many great sites locally to dive.

I agree you need to spend sometime looking at gear. Renting items from different shops. Seeing what works for you.

I am diving a back inflate Ranger BC. weight intergrated. I love it.. but will be switching to a Back plate and wing. There is nothing lacking in my BC.. I just am wanting to dive with a set of doubles instead of a single tank.

A drysuit sounds like a good choice for you. There are many kinds. When you talk to divers ask why they dive the suit they do. Ask what they love about it, if they would buy the same suit again.

Get out and dive as much as possible. A great way to see many different gear setups.

Welcome to SB. I'm just chiming in to say hello. You've already collected some good tips so far and, I expect, you'll be getting many more.

There are some existing threads describing most of the local shops. They are here in this forum somewhere and most of the posts are pretty well rendered.

I'm one of the apparent minority that enjoys diving a wetsuit. Never been chilled out of a dive and I'm in and out of my gear much faster than my drysuit buddies.

I look forward to seeing you below. Orca Baiters do socialize occasionaly allowing for surface meeting, greeting and buddy finding.

Welcome to the board you lucky so-n-so, that PNW diving is some of the best I've ever seen.

To add to the good insight you're getting here, think about the ballast you're going to have to carry to sink in that drysuit. As a new diver, depending on your body mass, you'll be carrying 28-30+ lbs. If you add a jacket or back-inflate BC you add to your bouyancy and have to add more weight. If you dive a SS bp, which doesn't have to be in a hog/dir rig companies are making the comfort strap models ala the transplate (I just saw Zeagle's new rig with a SS bp with comfort/quick-release straps), you minimize the amount of fluff adding to your bouyancy and you move 6-10+ lbs of weight from bp/sta over your lungs,..well at least when you're horizontal, and off your waist. But there are jacket and back-inflate rigs with weight pockets on the back as well. I think the biggest surprise/challenge for me in cold-water was the amount of weight and how to best distribute it, well other than the cold itself.

DSW (Dry-suit weinie),
Chris

dsteding:
New to the board-thought I'd introduce myself and throw out a request for advice.

Grew up in the ocean (surfing), got my OW this summer, and have made the decision to take the plung into the icy waters of Puget Sound. With that in mind, I wanted to seek out some general advice-any thoughts would be much appreciated.

1) Equipment. Beyond my mask and snorkel I have none. Therefore, I will need to get some, so I wanted to ask what your rig recommendations would be. First would be a BCD, I got certified in, uh, much warmer water (in Thailand) so I'm not sure if I should be shifting gears from the regular jacket type BCDs. Also, back inflation, weight integrated, bladdity blah blah-any thoughts are appreciated. Along those lines, I've researched regs a fair amount, and plan on diving in a dry suit (meaning orientation or cert to learn that new skill) and any pointers on how to integrate regs, BCDs, dry suits and the like would be appreciated. I would like to build a setup that I can travel with-warm water won't completely be off the list here. I'm planning on buying new/used gear over the next month or so. Along those lines, I am 6'1, about 215, so if people have used gear . . . send me a PM.

2) Any other thoughts/stories about how you got into diving in Puget Sound and the surrounding areas. I dig exploring, love the ocean, and since I moved "up" here (uh, I can't say from where, but I promise I haven't driven home prices up-I rent) I miss being in the ocean. I haven't been able to get diving out of my mind since this summer, and the addiction has gotten to the point where I need to do something about it.

Finally, I fly fish a fair amount, and have a drift boat and tons of gear. If anyone is willing to give me some pointers, maybe show me around, I'd be happy to return the favor by teaching them to cast and fly fish if people have interest in that.

Once again, thanks in advance for any information or thoughts.

-Doug
Doug ... if you want to drop down to Federal Way some evening I can show you some gear. I have a used drysuit that might fit you (you can try it on and if it does we can negotiate a fair price), and I'd be willing to let you "test dive" one of my backplate rigs to see if you'd like that style of diving or not.

I am familiar with most of the local shops ... and currently teach for one. While I won't "push" any store ... including the one I work at ... I will give you some "pros and cons" of the various choices, discuss the type and brands of gear they carry, and answer any questions you might have.

That sort of discussion is perhaps more effective in a face-to-face meeting than via Internet. Drop me a line if you're interested ... I'd be happy to meet with you, and perhaps go for a dive when you're up for it.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom