Intracerebral hemorrhage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No health issues at this time and I get an annual physical. But I have noted that I don't recall seeing any of the easy diving recommendations on SB. I realize of course that any actual recommendation would depend on the issues involved and be diver specific. I have noticed that I am a bit more susceptible to sea sickness than I used to be and balance while good is not that of a 20 year old. Probably related. So I am keeping most of my diving 85 ft and above and shorter boat rides (unless I can get to Frying Pan or one of the nearer ledges.) But frying pan is shallow. I also now avoid high effort dives like strong currents, physical effort at depth, etc. Just being conservative.

Steve, everything you're doing sounds reasonable. Some good general recommendations for an older diver: listen to your body, keep yourself in shape, know your limitations and how to compensate for them, get an annual physical with a physician who understands diving, and don't push the envelope with respect to decompression.

Best regards,
DDM

Although my next CT scan isn't until next Monday, one other potential cause struck me today. During the 3 days prior to the commencement of symptoms (and 3 days after my last dive), I was taking Sudaplus daily (pseudoephadrine and paracetamol) for sinusitis. If my BP was already elevated, could this have been the catalyst that caused the bleed?

Malcolm, I think that's a possibility. I'd be interested to hear what @SJT1961 says.

Best regards,
DDM

Yes. Extreme BP elevation induced (or contributed to) by sympathomimetic drugs (including amphetamines, cocaine, pseudoephedrine, etc.) can cause ICH.

@SJT1961 Thanks for the reply. Sadly, I guess that I'll never find out the cause for certain. In the meantime, my GP is saying that the probable advice is to regulate my BP (doing that now with 5mg Ramapril), keep away from vasorestricting drugs and not dive :( (quite happy with 2 out of those 3!). Will run this by my neuro-consultant when I see him at the end of February.

Good luck, Malcolm. I hope they clear you for diving again soon.

Despite this being an old thread, anybody know of any neurologists or neurosurgeons who can give advice (even unofficial) on whether an asymptomatic intracranial cavernoma (cavernous malformation) without acute bleeding is a contra-indication for scuba diving? (recent dx)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom