Intova IC 800 Digital

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ontwreckdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I'm finally moving up to a digital camera. My LDS has the new Intova IC 800's coming in next week. They are going to be about $349.00. Are these a good first digital camera. Since I will probably only use it down south, will I need to have an external flash?

:: INTOVA ::

Based on the specs listed I'd say it's a fine choice for a first UW camera.
The only thing I don't see that I'd like to is the ability to save images in RAW mode.
Now we just need to see some pictures taken with it to see how it does.

I have the IC600 it uses the same case as the 700 and 800. The case it top notch double o-ring seal. The built in flash has issues. If you use it underwater, you will see a dark shaded area because the case interferes with the light. To solve this issue get the defuser or an external flash. It seems most built in flashes really do not work that will underwater with any brand camera. There is a quick disconnect on the case if you want to add the red filter. If you are looking for a point and shoot, it's a decent camera. I do not know if the 800 has a uw setting, the 600 does not. But for 130 buck for case and camera, it was a good deal.

But the camera has an optical zoom that comes in handy for topside.

If I got a case for my olympus, the setup would have been well over 900 bucks. 400 dollar camera and 500 case. And I risk flooding a more expensive camera.

The IC600 looks like an astounding bargain on eBay at $150. Don't get caught up in the megapixel counts. I'd only get the newer camera if you want to shoot video. Instead, get a wide angle lens! Search eBay for a 16mm Nikonos 35mm wide angle converter. I got mine for $100, and it's a heavy piece of glass. The converter has a 58mm thread. With the Intova housings, you should be able to use this lens with a 46-58mm step up ring. Just make sure not to get the Bayonet mount originally designed for Sea & Sea cameras.

Flash- if you plan on getting an external strobe, put a piece of underexposed slide film over the camera flash. It will block the flash's visible light, but still emit infrared to trigger the slave sensor. Inon also makes a "clear photo" product for about $20 that does the same thing. Reef Photo carries them.

If you don't get an external strobe, and want to shoot wide angle... I would get an Auto Magic Filter. They will let you capture colors down to about 10-15 meters. The disadvantage is that you won't be doing any macro during these dives.

If you don't get a strobe, and want to shoot macro photos, I'd by the Intova diffuser.

If you are going to get a strobe, Intova will have one coming out in Augest at a msrp of 230 buck. So depending on where you will be getting your equipment, it could be a strobe for under 200 bucks

If you are going to get a strobe, Intova will have one coming out in Augest at a msrp of 230 buck. So depending on where you will be getting your equipment, it could be a strobe for under 200 bucks

They already have a strobe under the Pixtreme name. The PX21 kit comes with the strobe, a housing, filters, a tray and a flex arm I have purchased 2 for $100 each.

They already have a strobe under the Pixtreme name. The PX21 kit comes with the strobe, a housing, filters, a tray and a flex arm I have purchased 2 for $100 each.

They have a new one coming out in Augest, alot more light the px21

Thanks for all the advice. I will get the difusser for the built in flash. Taking pictures isn't a priority for me, so I will see how this goes. If I find I enjoy taking pictures more with the digital camera I will get an external flash. Anything is better than the Bonica Multi-Snapper I have now. You get home and pay to develop the pictures (after you pay for film) only to find out half of them didn't turn out.

Back
Top Bottom