Intova camera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone had used this line at all. I was interested in the IC10 or the SP880. Didn't know if they were worth using. I'm able to get either one for 230 dollars from my work. Also they have a slave strobe (ISTR) available for 100 bucks. Not sure if its needed or if it would do that much. This is my first experience into underwater cameras.

Hi Gotbags-10,

I purchased an Intova 6 mp camera with housing recently. Not the same model, but same brand. FYI- I do shoot a land digital Canon camera with multiple lenses and flashes. I wouldn't call my work professional, but I impress myself and enjoy the images I take.

I pretty much had the same goals as you; I wanted a camera to dink around with underwater. Since this was my first real experience with underwater photography (other than snorkling shots) and I didn't have the funds to buy the sophisticated equipment, I went the ultra-inexpensive route so when I did upgrade (if I upgrade) I wouldn't feel too badly about my starter camera cost.

I've taken my Intova into the local waterhole (quarry) twice to get familiar with it.
I thought that for the price (I paid about $140 for my model) the camera shot very well underwater. Of course, when you are shooting in a dark green murky environment, the photos will turn out with "interesting" colors, but overall, I was pleased.

It also handled camera shake pretty well. I was convinced my Gilboa photos of the fish would be a blur, but oddly, they are not.

Outside of the case, the 6mp works very nicely and will be a fun "amusement park" camera when I don't want to tote my large Canon around.

From what I've seen in the quarry, I think that the camera I chose will give me nice memory photos while diving in the tropics and will be a decent substitute for my canon at parties, picnics, and parks.

The Intova line seems solid within the underwater equipment market. They are not a Sea and Sea, but it is reflected in the price. If you don't know where you want to go with your photography, it is a decent starter camera with low starter costs in my opinion.

There are so many cameras, housing, and accessories, it is almost mind-blowing.

I hope this helps you. I know it is not about the model you are looking at.

I am considering buying an ic800.
Anyone know roughly how long battery life time it has in video and picture mode?

I was also looking at the Intova and was concerned about the price. The old if it is too good to be true...Just before I made my purchase I found a new Olympus FE360 with an Olympus underwater housing on Amazon for $219. Divers Direct came through with the 110% price guarantee. The final price shipped to my house was $213.84

The Olympus has a few more features and a much better warranty. I like the fact Olympus has a solid warranty and repair facility. The camera takes good pictures and works for me. It is another option if you are looking for a starter camera.

Just before I made my purchase I found a new Olympus FE360 with an Olympus underwater housing on Amazon for $219.
Thanks for the advice. The strobe for it is twice as expensive though. Unless there is any other than the ufl-1 which works with it. But yeah worth considering.

The Pixtreme PX21 strobe will work with the Olympus and most other cameras. I have 2 of these strobes that I used with a Fuji F700. Make sure to order and use the fiber optic slave cable. These are the same strobes sold under the Fantasea label as the Nano.

I just ordered a Fuji FD50fd and housing. The camera can be had for $109 as a recert from ecost.com and you can find the housing for $135 on amazon. This is a far more advanced camera than either any Intova or the Olmypus.

I bought my Intova IC-500 when I certified in May in Australia, figuring I might get some cool shots and if it broke -- well, it was only 150 bucks! It's now been on 60 dives all around the world on its initial O-ring set, and still going strong! For ease of shooting still and video, you really can't beat em for the price! A little post production with photoshop, and I've got pretty good memories for the price! I haven't used the slave strobe, and the 500 uses AAA batteries which means you're changing them every dive, but the newer models use AA batteries and probably last longer, with some optical zoom as well! If you want a look at the end result, go to stevephotos.mulitply.com

hi i got a ic800 last november and ive done around 6 dives with it. it takes good shots up close where the flash can reach the subject. colors appear vivid and sharp. auto settungs are good enough for this.
however when taking pictures of fast fish or underwater scenery , you need to tweak the settings to get what you want and most probably results wonts be that great. this is however a general limitaion to p&s due to the lack of shutter speed/apperture control.
but all in all in still very pleased vith my purchase of the intova camera and would recommend it to anyone.
i also got the strobe and will test it next week in malapascua.
my suggestion is for you to get the ic10 since it has a better cmos and takes better videos aside from having higher resolution

cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom