International Pier Dive Shop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

schu1842

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I will be in Cozumel on January 7 on a family cruise. My son and I are planning to dive but wanted to wait to see what the weather will be before we commit to the dive. The ship gets in at 7:00 am. Are there any good dive operators close to the dock that would likely have some morning spots open? The Royal Caribbean ships often dock at the International Pier.

divewithmartin.com is right there when you get off the pier.

divewithmartin.com is right there when you get off the pier.

No question about it. About 15 years ago I served as the victim in a rescue diver class with that shop right on that shore. The cruise ship people were quite alarmed to watch the drama unfold from their perch high above the water.

If DWM can't take care of you there are beaucoup more dive ops.

Aldora.com is another fine option.

If the boat arrives at 7:00, you'll be lucky to be off at 8:00. They will get the people off who have booked early excursions with the cruise line first.
Aldora has a late boat for just this reason (second option down):
Bienvenidos - Aldora Divers | Only the best of Cozumel

Who ever you choose to dive with. This time of the season is really busy. You need to book ASAP.

Thanks for catching that Prop Joe. If you wait until the day or so beforehand, your options may be limited.

In that case, have plenty of dive ops info available and be able to contact them wherever you are.

There are tons of dive ops that accommodate cruisers. Email and reserve a spot ahead of time. If they know you are a cruiser, and they are a cruise friendly op, they'll wait for you.

I really liked Scuba with Alison. We had cruisers on the boat with us most days. Add her to your list to check out- you would need to get a taxi to the Caleta.

what weather would prevent you from diving? If it's a Norte, you would get your deposit back- if it's raining, underwater is the best place to be.

I really liked Scuba with Alison. We had cruisers on the boat with us most days. Add her to your list to check out- you would need to get a taxi to the Caleta.
I'll just add that the taxi ride from the southern cruise ship dock to the Caleta is a very short one.

Just cruised Carnival and dove with Dive With Martin. The 4 of us had a private boat that was waiting for us once we got off the boat. Getting off the boat is a chore, especially hauling gear for 4. DWM accommodated us with 2 dives and had us back in plenty of time for drinks and getting back to the ship with more than enough time to get to the balcony to watch the drunks come running as departure grew near. Email the operator of your choice and they will accommodate your needs. Lessons learned were:
1: more than likely, you will be diving with weight belts unless you bring your BCD's.
2: traveling with fins sucks...BCD's would be even worse
3: getting off a ship and worrying about a dive time departure may make you homocidal. 3000 people going out 1, maybe 2, doors and all thinking their schedule is more important than yours is not pretty. That's why we did the private boat for $10 more per person.
4. Dive 100 cu ft tanks, they did not charge me and it adds to your down time, especially at 60 feet.
5. We brought our own regulators, I did not want to trust rentals with our lives. We brought our own wetsuits and masks as well. My face is hard to fit and 99% of the masks out there leak like Niagra Falls.
6. Email the operator of your choice, all responded quickly and I asked some very direct questions regarding equipment. Only real issue was what they considered weight integrated BC's. Mine were non detachable Velcro pockets....
Have fun!!
Jay

BTW...we had about a block walk from the carnival pier...I think it's the International Pier...to the DWM shop. No big deal and no cab needed, even hauling gear for 4. Also, I researched Carnival's dive operator and did not use them. At the time it was Sand Dollar Sports. Horrible reviews from equipment issues/failures to safety while diving. Don't be afraid of the "if you don't use their operation, the boat will leave you if your late". Our last dive was within sight of the ship and there were lots of other operators around. We finished several hours before departure.

Most Carnival boats dock at Puerta Maya. They also use the International Pier and Punta Langosta in town. DWM is off the International Pier just to the north. You can see both in this webcam...International Pier being the closest LONG pier. DWM may be the small building just on shore by the closest short dock

Cozumel, Quintana Roo - Webcams de México

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom