Intermediate Pressure Gauge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Nem, Yeah, my "field" IP gauge is nothing fancy, and has no adjustment screw. So moving the needle is the only option.

How about a nice scratch on the cover.

That'd certainly work too :)

This is actually a very easy DIY project to make yourself. I've made a couple from parts from Harbor Freight and NPT adapter from Northeast Scuba or Piranha. In the end though, you're not really saving much money and can buy one from Piranha cheaper. I put an over pressure valve on mine but you could just as easily leave a second stage attached to prevent over pressure.

BC fitting for NPT 1/4 (3.99) NPT Fitting 1/4M Thread "MA-04"
Brass T connector (2.50) Harbor Freight
300 PSI Dry Gauge (5.99) Harbor Freight

Thanks for the info. It's all very useful.
For the Over Pressure Valve that you mention, which of the two would be a better fit:

https://www.scubatools.com/p-400-pressure-relief-valve-ring-pull-275-psi.aspx 275psi
or
https://www.scubatools.com/p-398-pressure-relief-valve-ring-pull-185-psi.aspx 185psi

Many thanks.

The 185 is fine, I prefer one in the 160-175 range, since most all regs work with a max IP of 145, I just don't see a need to go any higher. The sooner a run away IP is stopped the better. When testing a reg for the first time, either an unknown reg or one that has been just serviced, SLOWLY pressurize it, keeping an eye on the IP, that relief vavle opening will scare the crap out of you. It is not uncommon for a reg to go a few psi high on the initial charge then settle down once you purge the reg a time or 2.

Great!
Thanks herman, your feedback is always appreciated.

If you have a store like Northerntool or some home improvement store like Lowes or Home Depot they often times have the valves in stock in the air compressor section

If you always make sure you have a 2nd stage in the rig, a separate OPV is unnecessary.

If you always make sure you have a 2nd stage in the rig, a separate OPV is unnecessary.
The only time I could see not having a second state attached is when servicing an Argon reg and it should already have an OPV on it.

Home Improvement Made Easy with New Lower Prices | Improve & Repair 2" gauge, 0-200 psi, Model #M2002-4L, Internet #203449559 (online only), $6.59 plus shipping
In Home Depot Store, Husky 2" gauge, 0-300psi, SKU #324486, $8.49 <-- weird 6lb divisions with each mark (Chinese)
Both connect directly to the 1/4" pipe thread nipples that will allow you to measure with a quick-disconnect or make an inline tool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom