Intermediate Pressure Gauge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

traveler218

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm looking for an intermediate Pressure gauge so that I can check/tune my reg. I'm fairly new to this so not sure what's important here. the prices seem to range from $14 on Amazon, to over $80 elsewhere. Now I am very familiar with the old adage "you get what you pay for", but I also know it's easy to pay for a lot more than what you new (or pay a much higher price for no more benefit).

Anyone have any insight or recommendations as to what is adequate here?

I had bought one of the small gauges, and found it to be accurate, but the resolution was low. So I upgraded to a larger unit. In the link below it is the $28 unit.
IP Gauge Checkers

When rebuilding regs, I have a really nice IP gauge on my reg testing stand.

I have the scubatools one that plugs into a LP inflator hose, not the bench model. It's fine, if I really needed to know the exact IP of all my 1st stages I'd get a better one, and an inline adapter so I could mount it immediately before the 2nd stage junction, not on the LP inflator hose. I believe taking a reading on the inflator hose might reveal different pressure drop during purge than actually occurs at the 2nd stage due to venturi influence in the LP port chamber.

Anyhow, unless you're a real nerd and care about the stuff I just blabbed about, this one is good:
Tech Diver IP Gauge - Universal Inflator

I have three - a large and spendy one in a portable bench, another mid sized one from Scubatools on an inline adjuster (the same one in the link above, just mounted on the adjuster), and a third small and inexpensive one in a rubber boot that just plugs into the inflator QD fitting for field checks:

http://www.piranhadivemfg.com/item/Standard-Middle-Pressure-Gauge-3129

The Scubatools gauge developed a 15 psi error after a couple years and had to be replaced.

The small one is 3-5 psi off, but it's irrelevant as what I am looking for with it is just the needle swing, lockup and lack of creep indicators and I'm not real concerned about exact pressure.

I have three - a large and spendy one in a portable bench, another mid sized one from Scubatools on an inline adjuster (the same one in the link above, just mounted on the adjuster), and a third small and inexpensive one in a rubber boot that just plugs into the inflator QD fitting for field checks:

Standard Middle Pressure Gauge

The Scubatools gauge developed a 15 psi error after a couple years and had to be replaced.

The small one is 3-5 psi off, but it's irrelevant as what I am looking for with it is just the needle swing, lockup and lack of creep indicators and I'm not real concerned about exact pressure.

Ditto the above. Get the one listed which is good enough.

Thanks for the suggestions and help folks. It's clear that for what I need it for, the less expensive one will do fine. I think I will get the 2" version just so it will be a little easier to see. That should give me all I need to check my reg prior to diving.

It amazes me that this piece of equipment is not common place. An intermediate guage is super cheap and easy to use and in reality, it probably makes sense to check the intermediate pressure before every big dive trip. Plus, if you are just the slightest bit mechanically inclined, the user can adjust the cracking pressure on the second stage very easily and avoid unnecessary trips to the dive shop or even needless and expensive overhauls".

Even if it is just for the piece of mind, knowing that the pressure is stable and good and I won't feel guilty tweeking the second stage or the Air 2 inflator.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom