Interesting photo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jak Crow

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Other than this being an impressive silver cabazon that is...

_WUF9063.jpg

The cabezon is guarding eggs (lower right, lower center). This is the season for that behavior. They can be quite approachable if you take your time.
However, they can also get defensive. I once had one chomp on my arm while I was trying to take pictures. No damage done to me or drysuit,
but it was quite surprising.

Chuck

The cabezon is guarding eggs (lower right, lower center). This is the season for that behavior. They can be quite approachable if you take your time.
However, they can also get defensive. I once had one chomp on my arm while I was trying to take pictures. No damage done to me or drysuit,
but it was quite surprising.

Chuck

This aggressive behavior is interesting. I had one come after my yellow octopus hose one time!

We have a local site called the Edmonds Underwater Park (or Bruce Higgins Underwater Trails, depending on whether you want the official name or what everybody calls the place). It is a haven for cabbies, and it's an entertaining site to dive in the winter. I can remember floating slowly up the hull of a scuttled pleasure boat, with the intention of checking out the cabin for critters, and as I came to the rail a cabezone about a foot long came streaking toward me. He hit me in the shoulder, and grabbed the outer, Lycra skin of my Fusion dry suit. I looked down, and here was this little fish, hanging on for dear life and tugging on my suit. I whacked him with my hand, and he let go, only to come charging back and grab me again. I was laughing so hard I almost choked myself. They are the Jack Russell terriers of the fish world -- at least, of the cold water world!

TSandM had a funny encounter with a little one; my daughter had a funny encounter with a gigantic one. We were doing Edmonds and she happened upon a cabbie close to three feet long, guarding eggs. He charged at her full tilt twice, and only veered off when she shoved her light in his face. In our experience, cabezons are the rhinos of the Pacific: they don't necessarily bite, but they'll ram the crap out of you!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom