Interesting find in Mobile Bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tom wicker

Contributor
Reaction score
I found a couple of things that are interesting and was wondering if maybe I could get some info on them I try and post pic later

I found an old type anchor like you would see in the movies. It stands about 3’ tall with the bottom wish bone as I would call it about 2’ across. What really caught my attention was after about 4” of crust came off the shaft and along one of the partial remains of the hook on one side it looked to have been hand forged . Has anyone any idea when they stopped using these type of anchors? :popcorn:

Now before you answer that, Also found was a iron the old type where they use to place them on a fire to heat them up before they could iron the pants. I also found what appeared to be several pieces of blown glass (birds and such). There were several other metal objects sticking up from beneath the sand but time was running out on me, I will have to take another closer look at this area. I stumbled upon this while retrieving a lost spreader

No answers, but interesting finds and I'm looking forward to reports on when you find out more(and find more!).

Hey while your there look out for some pineapple style grenades.
grenadesb1ew5.jpg

Dont worry though,they've been drilled out. My dad was at a military vehicle show down close to the battleship a few weeks ago, said they got bored one day and started chunking the things out into the water. Really Smart:shakehead:

Hey while your there look out for some pineapple style grenades.
grenadesb1ew5.jpg

Dont worry though,they've been drilled out. My dad was at a military vehicle show down close to the battleship a few weeks ago, said they got bored one day and started chunking the things out into the water. Really Smart:shakehead:

All jokes aside there is an old mine layer out there the military use to flour bomb for practice. There should be plenty of them cases laying around. The last few days the bay has been ruff and with what little viz the bay offer anyway it would have to be zero viz.. Call me a coward at heart but on an average day viz is only arms length and that bay is ate up with sharks. Diving solo can be a funny feeling

I have often thought that there must be a lot of interesting things to find on the floor of Mobile Bay, but it is just too murky to dive. Maybe we can get some more bridges built on the Causeway some day to increase the water flow and open up visibility. It will probably not happen in my lifetime, but it would be nice to have a diveable bay.

Back
Top Bottom