interesting equipment failure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

djtimmy77

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Took a brand new deco reg on a rec dive today. Toward the end of the dive...the connection from the hose to the second stage was leaking badly. Ended up shutting the valve off...and when I got back on the boat, unscrewed the hose from the second stage and found the oring broken. Didn't really affect our dive...but quite interesting to have this issue on a brand new reg/hose.

was the hose tight to the second stage? It was pretty common in the older DIR days to have divers cut the hose oring because the second stage was supposed to be hand tight when in fact it was loose, notice it loose under pressure and they tighten it, cutting the oring. stupid practice to keep the second stage hand tight

It is possible that it was loose...it came assembled....and I was able to unscrew it by hand on the boat.

Save a dive wouldn't have helped 40 minutes into a dive.

Look closely at the break. If it had extruded and was then tightened, it will be a smile looking cut. If it is just a clean break, then if may have just been a defective o-ring. They are pretty reliable but nothing is 100%.

Well. If it were a serious dive...we would have definitely aborted.

Thanks for the info about the loose fitting...i will make sure not to have loose fittings in the future.

How tight is "tight"? The advice I was given by my LDS was that you should grab the wrench as close to the fitting as possible, and twist it with about as much force as if you were putting a lightbulb in nice and tight.

RBS

was the hose tight to the second stage? It was pretty common in the older DIR days to have divers cut the hose oring because the second stage was supposed to be hand tight when in fact it was loose, notice it loose under pressure and they tighten it, cutting the oring. stupid practice to keep the second stage hand tight

What does DIR have to do with any of this? It wasn't a DIR diver. It wasn't a DIR dive. When was it ever DIR to not have your equipment in good working order?

Most Repair Manuals from the Manufacturers say 40lbs of torque on hose fittings.
I just snug it with a wrench slightly after it is hand tight.
40lbs is just an extra light push with your normal length spanner wrench.
The as tight as a lightbulb advice is pretty spot on. I like that analogy.

Anymore than 50lbs and it can be a pain in the butt to break the hose loose after it becomes used, salted, and pressurized multiple times.
If you want your repair tech to be cursing and applying excessive force to your reg you can tighten them like hell. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom