interesting dilemma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

clockworkdiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Well this story starts with basicly that when i got certified my mom dint make it through the class with me, and now she is trying it again. So i went to the confined pool dive day 1 with her just sat in the corner and let her do the class because she asked me to go and bribed me with dinner, She did great. but this isnt the part she fell out last time its todays dives are the one that she fell out at, which brings me to my delma
The instructor said i dint need to come again and that she would be fine, but my mom in the car said she would like me to go and likes to have the freindly face there with her even though im not particpapting or in the water, it just helps her relax.
Now my question is should i go or not.
This is hard for me because i care about my mom and i want her to pass,
but she has to be a comptent diver 2.

P.S
I really want the dinner :D its pizza today and the place we go is amazing.
A swift responce would be nice as her dives are in 5 hours.

Go with her. Comfort is more important than independence at this stage: being frightened of diving is far more dangerous than being dependent on your buddy, which most of us noobs are anyway.

CLockworkdiver,
The instructor needs to be able do his/her job. A friendly face is great but the instructor might need time to devote to your mum and well how can I put it nicely? Well I can't , you might get in the way ! :)

Eh. I'd say go and support your mom. The tasty pizza is a side benefit.

After you guys are both certified, I recommend doing a number of dives with other people. It sounds like your mom will have a tendency to only want to dive with you. Having only one dive buddy hinders your/her development as a diver. Join a dive club. Get out there and dive.

Have fun!

Go with, as an Instructor myself I have no probelms with a guest unless the student has a problem with them being there and if you are not in the water then he doesn't even have too worry about you. Just sit back and enjoy and act like a fly on the wall.
Before I'am became an Instructor my wife asked me too go with her too a Discover Scuba, I did as I recommended I was a fly on the wall, she felt more confident with me there.

Have a slice of pie for me....

I agree, go! As long as you're just a friendly face on the sideline and don't interfer with the instructor and his responsibility to make sure your Mom masters all her skills.

Go and support your mom if it makes her feel better. As long as you are not involved with the actual class it should not be a problem. If the instructor still does not want you there, even though you are not participating, I would find a better instructor.

By all means go! As an instructor I think it is great when family gets involved as long as they do not get in the way. By that I mean if you are just sitting on the sidelines giving moral support there is no issue. If you were trying to help her set her gear up, get in the water, etc then I'd have to ask you to please sit down and not interfere. But if it makes her feel better and more relaxed you could bring the dog for all I'd care. Once we're underwater you do not exist.

Another instructor here saying GO.
Unless the instructor has some compelling reason for you not coming, GO.
Your mother (the customer) should have the final say.
As Jim implied, you might want to ask the instructor if there is something in your behavior he/she would like you to change; but otherwise GO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom