Interesting comment from a fellow diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boulderjohn

Technical Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
It was the end of a good day of diving this past weekend, and the three of us were sitting around the motel room gabbing. It was me and two young men, and by that, I mean people well into their adult years, many years past college. The conversation came around to diving while aging, with my decompression diving that day (about 280 feet) the topic. It was mentioned that a lot of people my age do not do the kind of dives I do.

The conversation shifted slightly to the need to stay active while aging, no matter what the chosen activities might be. One of the young men started talking about his grandfather's activity level, and he looked at me and said, "...and I'm pretty sure he's even older than you are."

Ouch.

I understand. I'm 60 and cave dive. One of the guys I dive with is 70, and goes everywhere I go. Gives me hope that when I'm 70 I will still be cave diving.

It does seem like if you keep doing something from a young age, you can keep it up past the age the other people cannot even think of starting, because they are too old. For example that Boston Marathoner that pushed his son in a wheelchair the entire race: he started when he was young and child was small, and keep running until child was full grown and he was elderly, but no one else can start as an elderly marathoner pushing a full grown man in a wheelchair. It is an advertisement for “Start Today!” So I’ll go exercise now...

Ouch is right. Most of the people I dove with 30 and 40 years ago have stopped diving for various reasons. Come to think of it, so have the ones from 20 years ago, and even 10. No wonder I solo.

@Bubblesong
It does seem like if you keep doing something from a young age, you can keep it up past the age the other people cannot even think of starting, because they are too old. For example that Boston Marathoner that pushed his son in a wheelchair the entire race: he started when he was young and child was small, and keep running until child was full grown and he was elderly, but no one else can start as an elderly marathoner pushing a full grown man in a wheelchair. It is an advertisement for “Start Today!” So I’ll go exercise now..
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It is the long term effects of the S.A.I.D principle .

SDM, III

@Bubblesong
So I’ll go exercise now..

Could you do some for me too Sam? I'm packing for a dive trip to British Columbia and there's gear hanging all over my weight machine. :)

It was the end of a good day of diving this past weekend, and the three of us were sitting around the motel room gabbing. It was me and two young men, and by that, I mean people well into their adult years, many years past college. The conversation came around to diving while aging, with my decompression diving that day (about 280 feet) the topic. It was mentioned that a lot of people my age do not do the kind of dives I do.

The conversation shifted slightly to the need to stay active while aging, no matter what the chosen activities might be. One of the young men started talking about his grandfather's activity level, and he looked at me and said, "...and I'm pretty sure he's even older than you are."

Ouch.
I had no idea you were that old (or is the more PC term elderly?)! I must admit in reading your posts I had pictured you being maybe 40 something. Obviously you're doing something right!

I'm not sure exactly what your age is but I think that as long as you work your way into something and have the desire, you can start fairly late in the game. My mom is a perfect example of this. She's 65. She started running less than a decade ago, and has been running full marathons for almost four years now. She went and ran in a big marathon in Chicago, IL last year and while she didn't win she did have some very respectable finish time. Personally, I think running is something I might do if someone pointed a loaded gun at me, but surely not for fun.

Obviously there are a lot of health issues that show up later in life. Outside of that, I think it's just a matter of having the necessary desire to do what you want to do. You're clearly in the elite when it comes to scuba. I know there are divers out there diving to 280 feet but I am not sure I personally know anyone who's ever dived to that depth. I wonder how many people in the world can even do it. 1000? 5000? Out of millions of divers. That's a major achievement for anyone, regardless of age.

Time to dust this off again -- FYI

An old time consuming post to read which I authored about the history and primary reason for documenting ALL hyperbaric exposures -- From cold mud puddles to clear warm tropical water--

'It is suggested that you might also enjoy the later part of the post which I have printed in larger font so @boulderjohn maybe able to read it

1. "A bit of sage advice -- Log every hyperbaric exposure-- from the swimming pool and your training to mud puddles, quarries to the ocean -- It is all hyperbaric exposure -- the body cannot identify if the water is fresh clear pool water, a mud puddle or ocean salt water.

Your generation is the very first generation in the history of man to experience massive often long term hyperbaric exposure. Who knows what effects such exposure will have on health and longevity ?

Based on the very small samples of those who began diving long before the popularity of recreational diving it is possible that audio and equilibrium systems will be impacted as well as orthopedic involvement in the form of aseptic bone necrosis and yet to be identified or named diving maladies

At this junction in the very short history of diving there is no data to determine if this can or will occur

Never the less I would suggest that you log ALL hyperbaric exposures
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Some time ago I was raining then I had a exchange with Karen a US nurse who asked a similar question
    The following is my wordy response

"Welcome Karen --(My #2 daughter is named Karene --she has been diving over 45 years)

1) Logging dives has been around for a while -- The first US log book was designed in 1955 (63 years ago) by the late Dick Bonin founder of SCUBA Pro and marketed by the long gone company called "Dive Master: of Chicago.

2) The second dive log was designed by Tom Ebro in 1966 (11 years later - 52 years ago ) As a requirement for the LA County Underwater Instructors Association for use in the worlds first ADP, the LA CO three (3) month long many dives Advanced Diver Program, aka ADP and for use in the LA Co UICC, the worlds first underwater training program established in 1954, which continues as the worlds most demanding a prestigious diving instructors training program ,

3) The rest of the diving world did not immediately develop dive logs but when the did they used, aka change the cover and/or patterned their dive logs after LA Counties log book.. Now there are many diving logs in every format-- choose one

4) I am told that some organizations and resorts demand logs be maintained and presented ($$$)

5) I recommend that you maintain a dive log- and take it on every dive trip and log every dive ASAP after the dive.
    Log all that encompass hyperbaric exposure -in deep pool, a mud puddle, a quarry and the ocean- always include date, place depth and time. These entries are not only for your your benefit but are invaluable as you certainly realize for the attending or treating doctor and nurses

Now you know the history of the dive log I suspect you now know considerably more about the history of the dive log that a majority of the current diving community. Perhaps you can and can share these historical tid bits with your fuzzy faced instructor...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Your-- the present generation - is the first generation in the history of man that has been massively and repeatedly exposed to hyperbaric environments.

** Certain protocols for safe diving are in place -- slower assents, the safety stops .etc but long term value is undetermined at this juncture in time
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FYI
    During the 1980s and 1990s we had a loose organization in SoCal called "The fathers of free diving and spear fishing, " which was composed of as the title describes the fathers of free diving and spear fishing -- the ones who formed basis for the current "recreational" diving." All began long before Cousteau arrived in the US in 1948 with his bubble machine . these were the men and occasional woman who were there in the early days of the sport , some in the 1920s, others in began in the 1930s and the youngsters in the 1940s which included me and and my two companions.Allan Wood and Ron Merker (@drbills Instructor)

2. We met periodically and soon noticed our ranks were thinning in numbers and those attending were advancing in age..

It was determined to have one last meeting of what was remaining of the tribe ( no disrespect to native Americans or Canadians First Nations ) but that was our accepted name --no supper duper pooper diver/instructor ...Just a member of the tribe.

2000 was the date..the last gathering of the tribe.. letters were sent, telephoned calls were made and the fathers world wide responded and attended. This was the last great gathering of a group that was privileged and honored to be a participant and observer of a series of events that occurred for a very short time and never ever will be experienced again up on this earth.

The common thread was hearing aids and orthopedic devices all indicated was probably related to diving

That was 18 years ago all of the tribe from the 20s and 30s have departed to the big reef in the sky and only a smattering remain of the 1940s tribe .My fellow "Fathers" who began with me in the 1940s are among those in the big reef in the sky I am now experiencing the long term effect of hyperbaric exposures -- hearing is reduced (a lot!) we all had lots of trauma to the ears and exostosis growth , equilibrium difficulties and a minimum amount of osteonecrosis to the skeletal areas , and of course some expected ambulatory difficulties ....But -- I would not hesitate do it all over again !!! My dear wife and all my five children have been diving in excess of 40 or more years and all the grand children are on their way as divers . We are all aware of the possible long term effects
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    fyi

you might want to google
    * San Diego Bottom Scratcher Spear Fishing club
    * Long Beach Neptune's Spear Fishing club
    * Charlie Sturgil (or my article "The Mask" some where on this board))
    * History of Scuba Diving: Tales from the Abyss
    Pioneers, agencies, gear and more: where did they all come from? What can we learn from their history\
  3. Avenue of the Divers: Scuba Legends & Pioneers (Read how it all began)
Sam Miller,III

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom