Interesting checkout dives this weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

motoxmann

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
We just got back from our check out dives in Monterey this weekend... So we're official!!

Conditions were pretty bad all weekend. We got there around seven on Saturday and watched the waves crash onto shore for a bit. They subsided a little a few hours later. We finally got into the water around 9:30 and got our first taste of surf entry. Not crazy surf, but from what we were told it was pretty bad by Breakwater standards. Once we got in and descended, visibility was about 3-4 feet. I'm about 6'3" and i couldnt see my fins when I stretched out off my knees. It was pretty surgy all day so we pretty much just stayed at the bottom of the anchor line and waited for our instructor to come to us individually to do skills. He had to pretty much get right in our faces so he could signal what skills he wanted us to do. We did three dives the first day and got a lot of skills done. We tried to do small "tours" at the end of each dive, but by the third there was no point because we couldn't see anything.

Today was a lot better... We had about 5-7 feet of visibility!! We only had three skills left so they were quick and we went on a short tour before surfacing. We waited about an hour and went back in for a "fun dive". This was a lot of fun. No kneeling at the bottom waiting for instruction or anything, we just went for a tour around the area. Our first real dive!! We just made a big circle, swimming through a little kelp, checking out some crazy crabs and such, and ended coming back along the wall. In some parts we hit about 35-40 feet and at that depth the visibility opened up to about 10-12 feet. Definitely more fun we you can actually (almost) see where you're going. If nothing else we got in some good compass practice.

All in all we were able to get in 5 dives and got through all of skills with no problems. We talked to several people (other instructors and Dm's), and they all told us that this was pretty much as bad as it gets for Breakwater. Not having anything to compare it to, this was good to hear that things could really only get better for future trips. We had a great time and we cant wait to get back in the water!!

Congrats on getting certified!! And yep, I think this weekend is as bad is it's likely to get, so if you were able to enjoy this, you're in for a real treat as the viz clears up.

See you out there!

Congratulations and welcome to the world of diving.

Make sure that you got right back out and dive some more. I strongly suggest that you join a local dive club, so you find good dive buddies and learn more about local dive sites.

Around here, that's pretty much Monterey/Carmel and the Sonoma/Mendocino coast.

A great big congrats on getting certified! Have fun. Be safe.

Congrats on getting certified! I too was at Breakwater on Sunday, and was helping with a rescue class. I was wondering how long id be sitting there on the bottom while the students were swimming patterns looking for a missing diver (me). Granted a cormaran found me about 10 minutes in and actually swam around me and tapped my shoulder three times with his beak before swimming off. Man that was bad vis though, so you certainly saw breakwater at its worse.

Thanks for the congrats guys. I'm actually glad that the conditions were what they were because we got to try out some tough stuff and our instructor was there the whole time. Now we know we can handle pretty bad conditions, and we were told that if you can dive that you can dive anything. We're going to try to get out there again ASAP and hopefully the conditions are better.

Quick question though. What is the best way to check what the conditions are like? The easiest days for us to go are mondays and tuesdays and we have to rent our gear, so it would be nice if we could have an idea before hand if the conditions are a go or not.

Thanks for the congrats guys. I'm actually glad that the conditions were what they were because we got to try out some tough stuff and our instructor was there the whole time. Now we know we can handle pretty bad conditions, and we were told that if you can dive that you can dive anything. We're going to try to get out there again ASAP and hopefully the conditions are better.

Quick question though. What is the best way to check what the conditions are like? The easiest days for us to go are mondays and tuesdays and we have to rent our gear, so it would be nice if we could have an idea before hand if the conditions are a go or not.

you might also subscribe to the ba_diving yahoogroup, as there are conditions reports pretty much every weekend.

Back
Top Bottom