Interested in learning how to scuba dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

watergirl

Registered
Reaction score
I have been interested in learning how to scuba dive for quite awhile now, and someone told me about this board. First of all, I know I need instruction. So, my questions are:

1. What places would you recommend for instruction?
2. What questions should I ask the instructors to make sure that I will be safe during the classes and happy with my teaching?
3. How much does it cost to get just started into diving?
4. What should I buy before my classes (or will it depend on where I go for classes?)
5. Any other info you think I should know before starting classes? (No horror stories, please!!!)

Watergirl

Welcome to diving!

The first thing to do is check out all of the dive shops in your area. You want to get suggestions from friends and you will probably get some from people on this board.

You will want to get your instruction and equipment from the same shop as much as possible. This will usually get you a price break and helps get a good relationship with the LDS (local dive shop) that will help in your progression as a diver.

You want a really good instructor and a full service shop.

The instructor will tell you what you need for the class and will help you get good gear that fits.
Generally you only need your own mask, fins and snorkel for the start, everything else is provided in the class or rented.

Remember to have fun.

michael

What places would you recommend for instruction?
Your local dive store (LDS) of course. As for which agency -- that could start a firestorm around here. I'm sure there are a few folks from your neck of the woods that can recommend a LDS. But here's a comparison written by one of our own Comparison

What questions should I ask the instructors to make sure that I will be safe during the classes and happy with my teaching?
Ask about anything (and I do mean anything) that makes you nervous.

How much does it cost to get just started into diving?
That depends. Honestly. There's the cost of the lessons, the cost of renting or buying equipment. Each LDS can be different. I've heard ranging from as low as $50 for the lessons to $200.

What should I buy before my classes (or will it depend on where I go for classes?)
Usually, most will recommend that you buy your mask, snorkle and fins. However, I'd recommend trying out what they have available in their rental selection first -- and find something that not only fits you, but also will fit your needs for the kind of diving that you plan to do.

Any other info you think I should know before starting classes? (No horror stories, please!!!)
It's an adventure you will be taking. Some of the skills may make you uneasy. But your instructor will help you through. None of the skills that you will be required to do are timed, so take your time and enjoy.

Hi Watergirl.. Your best option is to contact your local dive shops and see how much they charge for the course. and what they want you to have in the way of personal equipment. If it were me I would chose a well knowen agency. as for instructors it doesn't hurt to have a talk with them to find out what kind of person they are and then make up your own mind on which instructor you want to learn from.

Hope this helps some..

Thanks for the warm welcome and advice. I'll be looking into it as soon as I'm through being a student. (Not soon enough for me!!) In the meantime, I hope you won't mind future questions and such. Thanks again!

watergirl

1. What places would you recommend for instruction?
  • The local dive shops (or LDS in "board-speak") are where one seeks instruction. You will find that they are affiliated with one of the many instruction agencies such as PADI, NAUI, SSI, etc. And currently, there is an interesting debate on which turns out the better divers. The YMCA also offers diving instruction and some say that this is one of the more intensive and better instruction.

Several of our regular members, including Uncle Pug and ScubaKat, live in the Seattle area. I would PM (private message) them with your questions and get their recommendations.
2. What questions should I ask the instructors to make sure that I will be safe during the classes and happy with my teaching?
  • I would ask them questions about their diving philosophy, how long have they been teaching, what do they do to ensure that you are not only getting good instruction, but are also having fun. There's probably another zillion good questions, but I can't think of them. Anybody else?
3. How much does it cost to get just started into diving?
  • Instruction can be between $200 and $300 depending on the shop and instructor.

Initial gear (mask/snorkle/fins/etc) can vary widely depending on brand, model, options, etc. But expecting to spend $150-175 is about fair.

Post class gear (BC, Reg, wet or dry suit, etc) can range really wide due to lots of different reasons. Again, local divers such as Uncle Pug and ScubaKat can better assist you.
4. What should I buy before my classes (or will it depend on where I go for classes?)
  • Definitely get the textbook for the class and start reading. This will help you get some good intial info and develop some good questions for the instructor.

Next you'll need your mask, snorkle and fins. These are items that require a significant degree of comfort, so take your time choosing them to ensure a good fit. Since every face is a different shape, try on lots of different masks until you find agood fit. And if you get the open heel style of fins, you will also need some booties. But these can be a good buy since you can wear them like sneakers around the dive site and also hop in the water with them.
5. Any other info you think I should know before starting classes? (No horror stories, please!!!)
  • Mainly just relax, pay attention to the instructor, ask good questions, and have fun. Oh, and practice the skills as needed in the pool. As they say, practice makes perfect.

Welcome to the board Watergirl!!!!!!

While I can be of really no help in some of your questions, such as locating a reputable instructor, I was very lucky to already be in a very experienced ring of divers, I can offer some suggestions.

Once you are in class, do not feel like an idiot asking ANY, and I do stress ANY, question. If their is something you are not 100% sure of, have the instructor slow down and explain it to you again. Maybe they can explain it in a different way to make you understand better. Also, if you have a chance, once you schedule your class, try to get the instructor to give you a copy of the book. That way you can read it, and compile a list of questions that you might have for them. I think this helped me a lot. I had the book over a month before I took my actual class.

Once you are in the water, be it a pool or open water, do not do anything you are not 100% comfortable with doing. If you feel uncomfortable at any time, let your instructor know. If you have any fears or concerns, let your instructor know before you get into the water. The more the insturcot rknows about your concerns, the better they can teach you under the water. If you feel you need more work on something, take the extra time to work on it.

Also, ask your instructor, or any of the assistants, if they would ever be available to go on a dive trip with you after your certification. The instructor I had offers this to all of his students. That way you will feel much more comfortable on your first dives after you get your certification.

As far as start up cost, my class cost me $175. That was the classroom work, and the pool work. The actual open water cost me $400. That included 2 days of diving with a total of six dives, at two different sites, my hotel room for the weekend, all the air I needed, the entry to dives sites, and my c-cards. Mine was slightly more expensive because I was certified by two different agencies, both PADI and NAUI. This is not neccesary, I just choose to do it.

As stated before, most places will ask that you have a mask, snorkel, and fins before you start. I was also very lucky in this department, as the guys that I dive with gave me some of their equipment. All I had to purchase on my own was a wetsuit, booties, skins, and BC. Luckily we knew a guy who was closing his dive shop, and I got the suit, skins, and booties for under $100 for some high quality stuff. I would suggest checking out EBay and seeing if anyone is selling any fins or mask that you could pick up at a cheap price.

Anyway, enough of my rambling, I will shut up now. Good Luck!

1. As others have said, local dive shops are probably the top of the list. If you're in school (college), there might also be a diving program there as well. As far as agencies go, my wife and I were certified through PADI (there, I've said it). :) While others aren't exactly enamored with their program, I think that the responsibility for becoming a good, safe diver relies more on the diver than anything else. There was another couple in our class who I would not feel comfortable buddying up with. Did they pass? Yes. I feel that PADI provided (through videos, books, classroom and in-water training) us with a good start, and presented sufficient information for us to be safe divers - when diving within our training limitations. I think that the people who get into trouble are the ones (like that couple in our class) who see the certification courses as a hurdle they have to get through to be able to go on their dive vacation, as opposed to opportunities to learn. While some of the skills may seem odd and unnecessary (replacing your weight belt while underwater was top on my list), the knowledge that you have done it and the confidence that it gives you are what's important. If you have any problems with skills, be sure to go over them with your instructor until you have them down pat.

2. As far as questions go, ask about anything you can think of. Quite a few times, our queries were momentarily greeted with that "Who doesn't know that?" look, but both the LDS employees and instructor were happy to explain anything and everything. Quite frankly, I would at least ask some questions of the dive shop and instructor, if possible (we didn't meet our instructor until we showed up for class, however). Like anything else, you can get a feel for the type of people they are, and whether or not you feel comfortable with them. If they seem annoyed at your "beginner" questions, or just seem to be pressuring you to sign up for the class or buy stuff, then you might want to look elsewhere.

I think it's important to develop a good raport with your LDS. The idea is that you spend the bulk of your equipment and training dollars with them, and they in turn are there to answer questions, give you "loyal customer" discounts, and handle any equipment problems you run into. Find someplace you're comfortable with, that seems to have experienced divers as employees (as opposed to travel agents), and that has a relatively good selection of equipment.

3. Well, if you have to ask..... :) I don't have all the figures in front of me, but our "startup costs" were a bit substantial. Of course, all the equipment we ended up liking ended up being the expensive stuff, and we needed to get a prescription lens mask for my wife. But hey, your life may depend on it, and if you take care of it, you'll only have to buy it once, right? Just be sure you don't try to cut corners and buy a cheapie mask/snorkel/fin kit from Wal-Mart or a regular sporting-goods store. These are *not* the same thing as the expensive stuff at the dive shop. Take a look at each, and you'll see what I mean. Assuming you go to a reputable LDS, all the equipment they sell should be of decent quality.

4. As far as dive equipment, we were encouraged to get masks, snorkels and fins. For the classroom, we got the basic open-water book from PADI (if you go PADI, I'd recommend the book over the CD-ROM version), and borrowed the video.

5. Not really. Be sure to study the classroom material before class - it's really not all that difficult, and it gives you a chance to ask questions during the class as opposed to trying to learn it "on the fly." Oh, depending on your level of fitness and swimming ability, you might want to get in some pool time swimming laps before the pool sessions. I hadn't even been in a pool for about seven years. Swimming was a lot more exerting than I remember! The swimming requirements (for PADI, at least) are pretty trivial, but it was still nice to get used to the water once again.

If you're not 100% sure that you want to get into diving, one thing you might check on at the LDS is whether they have a "Discover Scuba" class. Our LDS does this for free (which is a nice bonus!) I'm not sure what all it entails - I think some classroom learning followed by time in the pool with scuba equipment. This will give you a small intro. to what diving is all about and will let you see if it's something you want to pursue. They supply all the equipment (including mask, snorkel, and fins), so if there isn't a charge for the class, you're not out anything if for whatever reason you don't like it. The Discover students were in the pool when we were there trying out some new equipment, and seemed to be having a good time - they just have you swim around - no skills tests or anything. Just fun.

As others have mentioned, have fun! There will probably be a skill or two that will give you trouble at first - seems everyone runs into a problem or two. Just stick with it, and you'll be fine - the rewards of diving are worth it!

Welcome to the board... and welcome to SCUBA.

I'm going to offer a different point of view than some of the other board members -- and this has as much to do with my learning style than anything else.

For me, when I am trying to learn something new, I need to get to a minimum level of competence as quickly as possible, otherwise, I get frustrated and have a hard time maintaining my motivation.

I really see certification as a 'license to learn' --- so, instead of taking a lengthy course in my local area --- where I would also have to deal with a cumbersome wet suit, and less pleasant environmental situations, I chose to do an intensive class over several days in a more comfortable environment -- in my case, it was Hawaii.

What also pushed me in that direction was that I had visited my local dive shops, and frankly, did not find any that I seemed to 'click' with --- the thought of taking lessons from them, if I could even get them to accept me as a student, was painful.

Now, let me be the first to say, that immediately after certification, someone who has taken a longer course with more drills and practice, probably has better skills than someone who has taken a shorter, more intense course. However, for me, with my 'license to learn' mentality, it worked well. I had my certification, some minimum level of skill and competence, and then I continued to dive with instructors on guided dives, continuing to learn a bit more each time.

Also, all of the local dive shops required that I buy at the least mask, snorkel, and fins before beginning training. By taking an intensive course in a vacation setting, I didn't buy a single piece of equipment until I had about 30 dives logged, by then I knew what gear was working for me. (Just for the record, the mask, snorkel and fins that I now own represent an investment of $250.00. I know that if I had bought them before ever having dived, I would not have ended up with the gear that I love now.)

Again, for the record, I am still a novice diver -- I was certified in June of 2000, did my Advanced Open Water in February of 2001, my Rescue Diver in October of 2001. I have logged 112 dives to date. I hope to begin my Dive Master training in June. I still have lots to learn, but I also recognize that at this point I am a comfortable diver with solid skills.

Anyway, my few cents.

Liz

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom