Interest in research diving, advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
Hi, new to diving!
And I mean /really/ new, barely started my PADI training. Excited!

Brief introduction:
I am a mechanical/manufacturing engineer and I absolutely hate the 8-5 (it's not 9-5 anymore guh!) desk jockey, pencil-pushing, stay-overtime-because-your-manager-hasn't-left-yet kind of job. It's a manufacturing firm, the customer's money is all that matters in this industry, which is understandable. I just don't see myself as a sane person in this position any longer.

So I looked to the skies.
Yes...the skies.
I read an article that explained why I have these, once inactive, feelings.
In case you're interested, here is the article:
https://www.mentalhelp.net/articles/what-do-you-do-when-you-don-t-know-what-to-do/
Before you ask, no I don't/didn't need mental help. I googled "what to do when I don't know what to do" Ha.

Anyway, I've decided to shoot for the stars!
Literally!
My dream is to become an astronaut!
And yes, this is the right place for me to be. Hahaha.
My first step is to make a career out of ocean engineering and become an aquanaut.

My plan so far is to dive as much as I can before attending an AAUS school.
Then attend a uni for ocean engineering/scuba.
Any advice??
How does one get a handful of logged dives in a short period of time?
I feel late in the game (I'm 27) and I want to make up for lost time.
I know you can't rush these things, but what's the most effective way to spend my already minimal time?

Welcome... Nope not late to the game many don't start diving until MUCH older than you are. Have a look around and I am sure you will find some great advice.

I personally got into research diving for a few years by being at the right place at the right time. I was working as a DM on a local charter that was frequented by research divers doing their own "side research" (PhD, personal interest etc.). I got to know them and I guess they were impressed with my knowledge of diving as well as local shipwreck history and invited me on some projects. While It wasn't a career type thing for me, it had the potential to move in that direction as it gave me a foot in the door.

If you are looking to work underwater then do not waist your time and money on scuba lessons. What you will learn taking scuba is useless as far as working underwater is concerned and you will come out of a commercial diving school knowing more then most scuba instructors anyway. You will also log more hours underwater in a commercial diving school then many divers will in their life time.

howdy and welcome from south Florida...............good luck with your dilemma......

What's an aquanaut, who do they work for. Does NASA have a cross over program for aquanauts to become astronauts.

NASA does have a program where they have safety divers in the water with the astronauts while they do weightless drills in a very large pool, I don't think any of them have crossed trained to be astronauts.

Underwater at NASA's Neutral Buoyancy Laboratory | Scuba Diving

What's an aquanaut, who do they work for. Does NASA have a cross over program for aquanauts to become astronauts.

As far as I know, there is no direct program for aquanauts to become astronauts.
In fact, I only know of astronauts returning to earth and becoming aquanauts.
Not the other way around, correct me if I'm wrong.

The reason why I chose to look to the final frontier (underwater), rather than focusing on the next frontier (space), is for my love of the ocean. Besides, the experience I'll get with diving work will greater my chances of landing an interview with the astronaut selection board. I'd imagine a bump of .01%. I'm liking those odds.

If you are looking to work underwater then do not waist your time and money on scuba lessons. What you will learn taking scuba is useless as far as working underwater is concerned and you will come out of a commercial diving school knowing more then most scuba instructors anyway. You will also log more hours underwater in a commercial diving school then many divers will in their life time.

Thanks a bunch! I will look into a commercial diving school.
I didn't think they existed.
I've already started my PADI open water certification.
Enjoying it so far, but I can already see what you mean.
They rush through the material to get us out on the water faster.
It's great for a recreational diver, but it doesn't really fit in with what I plan to do with diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom