Interactive dive site map of Kokopo, Rabaul and Duke of York islands in PNG

Have you ever done diving in PNG ?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Depends what you're looking for mate. If you want a cheap diving holiday then go to Bali. If you want an exceptional diving holiday plus a real travel experience that you'll never forget then come to PNG. The diverse culture and history alone make it worth the trip and the diving here is the best I've experienced (Have also dived Bali, Gili Gede, Komodo, East Timor, Philippines, Thailand, Fiji etc so can compare). This place should be crawling with tourists but the unwarranted stigma of being a 'dangerous place' keeps them away (I've been living in Port Moresby for the last year and a half and have never felt threatened in that time). Not good for the locals income but great if you want to avoid tourist hoards and have pristine dive sites all to yourself.

Each to their own though so it just depends on what people are wanting to experience. Realistically its not the cheapest or easiest place to get to, but you'll most definitely be rewarded for your efforts with a unique and memorable experience.

I've only got a small one bedroom apartment up here so probably not enough room haha. More than happy to show you around though if you make it to Port Moresby. Some good diving here out on Nateara Reef, particularly for interesting critters and a couple good wrecks plus some good land excursions with Kokoda trail, Bomana war cemetery, Koitaki country club, Varirata National Park and crystal rapids all do-able in a day.

How often do you guy's visit the the "PETE" wreck?
I saw it in the tales by light episode, looked amazing!

We normally arrange dive when ever we have people requesting it . Normally meet all divers in morning and discuss what is preferred and if "Pete" is in high depend that day , then we go .Its only 1 hour away from the shop .

The diving in PNG is at another level compared to Bali, or any other place that I've had the good fortune to visit.
The reefs are just pristine, marine life is in abundance.

Unfortunately I have not been able to explore more of the inland as I was sailing through the area. But the people I met were so friendly, and there is a wealth of culture and nature I'd love to see one day.
As mentioned not the easiest or budget friendly place to visit, but an awesome experience.

And Rabaul Dive Adventures, KBB, your place is amazing. We used as our base while anchored up just off your beach. That terrace is just such a beautiful spot. And I have good memories (and a bit of a residual hangover....) of a 007 themed party at your place (this was late 2015).

Also went for a few dives to find some old Japanese planes in the bay with Rod.... quite a character, is he still around?

IMG_7387.jpg

172705486.jpg

The diving in PNG is at another level compared to Bali, or any other place that I've had the good fortune to visit.
The reefs are just pristine, marine life is in abundance.

Unfortunately I have not been able to explore more of the inland as I was sailing through the area. But the people I met were so friendly, and there is a wealth of culture and nature I'd love to see one day.
As mentioned not the easiest or budget friendly place to visit, but an awesome experience.

And Rabaul Dive Adventures, KBB, your place is amazing. We used as our base while anchored up just off your beach. That terrace is just such a beautiful spot. And I have good memories (and a bit of a residual hangover....) of a 007 themed party at your place (this was late 2015).

Also went for a few dives to find some old Japanese planes in the bay with Rod.... quite a character, is he still around?

View attachment 588766

View attachment 588767

Sounds like you had a great time here in Kokopo. Great photos ! Yes Rod is floating around ! You are very much right about diving in PNG being pristine ! So much great diving very close to dive shop . Weather at the moment have been amazing haven't had windy day for nearly a month . Flat sea every day !

Here are few recent photos !

P5170821.JPG

P5290085.JPG
P5290128.JPG
!

Back
Top Bottom