Intentionally arrhythmic respiratory patterns?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EXCEPT that your CO2 production continues all the while.
I once saw evidence that your metabolic rate increases with an increase in O2. Ergo, the production of CO2 increases with depth while the ability to get rid of it does not.

I have a natural tendency to skip breathe. I get so relaxed that it almost feels like too much effort to take a breath, and it's more comfortable to just pause.
I call this Scuba Xen. When the water hits my face, I feel a distinct calm take over. It might be the wild west on the surface, but the act of splashing erases all physical and emotional issues. I move less ergo I produce less CO2. One of the things I demand from all of my students is to economize their movements under water. The worst habit is swatting flies, aka hand sculling. Many who claim they don't do this, swat flies like they're in the middle of a poop farm in Texas. It's such an ingrained habit they don't even realize that they are doing it, much like they don't realize they are breathing. If your SAC sucks, odds are you're swatting flies. Skip breathing can't fix that, not even with duct tape.

So xen away. Relax. Let the currents move you. Stop the flailing. Slow the kick. Look more and swim less.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom