integrated weights vs. regular belt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gaucho

Reaction score

I have a Mares BC that has the integrated weights capability, but my Dive Master is sort of "old school" and encourages me to use the traditional weights belt.

As a relative newbie to scuba, I tend to follow my Dive Masters advice, but wanted to get your ideas/experiences.

It's really a trade off. Integrated weights are more comfortable and you're less likely to have them come lose accidently. Weight belts are cheaper to replace and it's less challenging to don your bc if the weights aren't in it. Some mention that weight belts are safer but I don't necessarily agree. It's not too hard to recognize the handles to pull most integrated weights out and they're less likely to be covered up on your buddy like many divers do with their belts despite the advice of their instructors during certification.

Integrated has only one drawback to me,thats trying to lift it into my boat.Other than that there isn't a valid reason,just preferences.

The only issue that I have with the weight integrated systems is the ones that have the all of nothing type release. An example is Zeagle. Once the handle is pulled all of the weight drops. In my case that would have been about 28# if it were all in the pockets. Can you say fly me to the moon at the sudden increase in positive bouyancy. When I still had a Zeagle I kept about 12# on a weight belt and the other 16# in the pockets.

These days I use a backplate with a chunk of the weight on the plate and about 12# in a DUI weight harness, which I can dump one side at a time.

JoelW

Regarding weights -- the weight config you use should be comfortable, should enable you to maintain good underwater "trim" (horizontal or slightly head down position while underwater) and should be easy to ditch in the event of an emergency.

Many folks prefer weight belts due to their simplicity -- only one thing to "get rid of" in an emergency and no fiddling -- once you get your own weight belt and get it set up, you shouldn't have to change it around (assuming you aren't changing types of tanks or other gear that might affect your buoyancy). Negatives are that they are hard to manage if loaded up with 30 or more pounds of weight.

Integrated BCs provide the ability to spread your weight around. This ability may make it easier to add/subtract weight if you are switching gear that will affect your buoyancy and the weight you need. It also may enable you to be more comfortable (30+ pounds on a belt can get pretty uncomfortable) and to achieve better trim by having some weights against your back (spending on the BC), in the front of the BC and on a belt. Integrated weights may also make it easier to dump your weights in stages vs. all at once. Negatives are that you now have 2-3 things you need to dump if you need to get rid of your weights in a hurry. There are also instances where BC weights have fallen out, but weight belts can fall off too....

This is not a definite list -- just issues to start thinking about. I currently use a belt and integrated BC weights. Hope this helps.

I have weight-integrated BC because I like the comfort of it. I don't have that chronic back spasm from carrying the weight belt too. The other issue I have of the regular belt is the possibly of deattachment from your waist during the giant stride off the boat. That's is if you forgot to place your hand over the belt buckle before stepping off the boat. It's not possible but it can. So what do you do if that happen, do you have another in tow? Also I like having all of my gear in one place so that I know where to find them. I only use my belt for abalone diving. Wish you the best of choice, go for what you feel is comfortable. Peace!
afraser

hello gaucho,
i, like other members here use an integrated weight system
it is easier to place the weight where you need it and it gives you the ability to still use a belt. i normally carry around 20# of ditchable weight. it is split between my weight belt and my bc. you should consult the manufacturer of your bc to find how much weight you can safely put in your bc. you don't want to void the warranty. i too was skeptical about having a weight belt along with my integrated system, worrying about losing my belt, i simply added another buckle to my weight belt, just make sure you use a steel buckle, they do hold better than those plastic ones. just be sure your dive buddies know that you have two buckles instead of one, they would rather know before the dive than to find out in and emergency. hope this helps
sam

I use #28 when the water temp is down and I need the extra vest and hood. The most comfortable for me is 6 in each side integrated and 16 on a belt. 28 in one place is just to much to lug around. The guys on the boat pulling my equipment up appreciate it too.

Tom

Thanks to all for your valuable tips and experiences.

Originally posted by JoelW
The only issue that I have with the weight integrated systems is the ones that have the all of nothing type release. An example is Zeagle. Once the handle is pulled all of the weight drops.
JoelW

That's true, but that's also the case if you use a belt. To eliminate this you could split the weights up between a belt and the Rip Cord system. I've done that a time or two when carrying alot of weight. But I usually just put all the weight in my Zeagle Ranger's pockets and in the event that I needed to drop weights, I'd just take the pockets out individually vs pulling the cord. But that is my biggest complaint about the Zeagle BCs. One of the big pluses is no velcro. I hate velcroed pockets.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom