Integrated weight system for BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You really should never be in the position to have to partially ditch weight to get to the surface. In your case its only 4lbs, barely anything. Even with a wing failure its not that tough to swim up. Unless you're overweighted and/or diving heavy double steel tanks with air. Losing weight on a dive is a AGE disaster. So whatever system you choose make sure its secure.

If you are on the surface and need to ditch, ditch it all. Lead is cheap.

subzero:
@DIR-Atlanta: Its more of a preference than anything and I would much prefer if I have the option of ditching one weight pocket at a time.
Some "food for thought" - in DIR diving, we do not normally "ditch" our weights. Ditching can be dangerous, as it can cause an uncontrolled ascent or make it difficult to hold shallow stops at the end of the dive. We normally go for the "balanced rig" approach (which has been discussed at length elsewhere on SB), and try to limit the amount of removable weight we carry to just the minimum required to allow us to swim the rig up from depth.

If a BC failure occurs underwater and we cannot swim up or maintain buoyancy, then we remove our weightbelt and give it to our buddy. That allows us to ascend safely to a shallower depth, where we can then take the weightbelt back to complete any necessary stops. So in this sense at least, the weightbelt is never really "ditched", just temporarily taken by someone else.

I've never personally had to deal with this situation "for real" (I am perfectly balanced in saltwater, wearing a single AL80 and 3mm suit with no additional weight), but it seems like it would be easier for the assisting diver to manage things if the removable weight were carried on a traditional belt, rather than as individual weights in a pocket. That way you only have to pass one thing back and forth between the divers.

Could something like that work in your case?

subzero:
@rjack321: For warm water diving, the weighted tank adapter would suffice, but drysuit diving, I still have to get a stainless backplate and another 8 more lbs for the pockets.
For drysuit diving, you can carry all the weight as non-removable, since the drysuit serves as a backup buoyancy device. For a single tank drysuit dive, I typically use a steel tank, weighted STA, and then thread an additional 8-12 lbs of weight on the camstraps of the BC. This simulates the weight characteristics of doubles pretty well, so I don't really have to change too much about what I do. For doubles diving is not an issue, since no additional weight is required.

kelseysmith:
What's a choke tube? Just curious, never heard of it before.

It's a cylindrical device inserted into the end of a shotgun barrel to control the dispersion of the shot pellets. For example, if hunting game at longer distances you want the shot to stay in a tighter group since it's going a longer distance to the target. For shorter-range hunting you can have shot that spreads out more quickly. By changing choke tubes you can make these adjustments.

-Ben

DIR-Atlanta:
Some "food for thought" - in DIR diving, we do not normally "ditch" our weights. Ditching can be dangerous, as it can cause an uncontrolled ascent or make it difficult to hold shallow stops at the end of the dive. We normally go for the "balanced rig" approach (which has been discussed at length elsewhere on SB), and try to limit the amount of removable weight we carry to just the minimum required to allow us to swim the rig up from depth.

If a BC failure occurs underwater and we cannot swim up or maintain buoyancy, then we remove our weightbelt and give it to our buddy. That allows us to ascend safely to a shallower depth, where we can then take the weightbelt back to complete any necessary stops. So in this sense at least, the weightbelt is never really "ditched", just temporarily taken by someone else.

I've never personally had to deal with this situation "for real" (I am perfectly balanced in saltwater, wearing a single AL80 and 3mm suit with no additional weight), but it seems like it would be easier for the assisting diver to manage things if the removable weight were carried on a traditional belt, rather than as individual weights in a pocket. That way you only have to pass one thing back and forth between the divers.

Could something like that work in your case?

For drysuit diving, you can carry all the weight as non-removable, since the drysuit serves as a backup buoyancy device. For a single tank drysuit dive, I typically use a steel tank, weighted STA, and then thread an additional 8-12 lbs of weight on the camstraps of the BC. This simulates the weight characteristics of doubles pretty well, so I don't really have to change too much about what I do. For doubles diving is not an issue, since no additional weight is required.
I prefer the pocket weight belt, not so much because I can drop weights one at a time (although I could), but because I like to have SOME weight I can take off and keep off my rig. When you're diving from a small boat that necessitates removing your rig and passing it up to the boat, it's a lot easier if you can whip off the weight belt and pass that up separately, rather than having ALL weight concentrated on the main rig with no easy way to reduce the overall weight. It also gives a rescuer something to ditch at the surface, should an accident occur.

Eight pounds in a pocket weight belt would be very easy to manage. It's also easy to reconfigure should your weighting needs change from one dive to the next. It may only take 5 minutes to re-thread a weight belt, but I'd rather have it take 30 seconds and go back to my vacation. :wink:

DIR-Atlanta, thanks for the insight and you certainly brought up a lot of good points. You may have just convinced me to use a weight belt after all:)

I like the idea of balancing the rig so that you don't have to wear any weight in a pocket. In my rig (SS BP/W + 6#, 3mil wet) I can swim easily to the surface without ditching any weights. I have though about moving 6# to trim weight; however http://www.halcyon.net/dir/faq_21.shtml talks about a "thoughtful" distribution between removeable/non-removeable weight. I know that this is a very insignificant point, but any comments?

I got away from weight integrated because carrying that much weight on my shoulders was too much. Instead just like going backpacking carrying at least some of it on my hips is much more comfortable when hiking with my gear on. Something else to think about if you have to walk a decent distance to and from dive sites.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom