Integrated BC/, or weight harness?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have 2 DUI harnesses and the Sea Soft harness. The Sea Soft is a little more comfortable on the surface but underwater it doesn't matter. But the pockets seem a little less streamlined than the DUi.

When you ditch the DUI weights, the weight pockets remain attached to the eject handle. They don't fall to the ocean floor unless you let go. For the Sea Soft, when you pull the release handle, the weights fall out the bottom of the pocket. I'm not sure you can catch them before they fall. Maybe...

Both systems allow you to remove weights from the top. The DUI allows individual weight packages to be removed while the Sea Soft encourages putting all of the weight packs in an orange net with a handle. I don't know which I prefer in this regard. I would certainly try to avoid pulling the DUI eject handle to remove the weights prior to reboarding. Rethreading the release cable is a PITA.

In both cases, the top of the weight pockets is below the bottom of the BC. DUI recommends that the top of the weight pockets be level with the top of the hip bone.

You need to think through where you want to carry the weight. Suppose you are at the bottom of the ocean and you need to remove your BC to reattach the tank that slipped out of the bands. It would be nice to have enough weight on your body to keep you down. It would also be nice to have enough integrated weight to keep the nearly empty Al 80 from rising. On the surface, you want to make sure you can float in your wetsuit with the harness attached and the BC floating elsewhere. Also, the BC with integrated weights should float at the surface with a full tank and without a wetsuit diver attached.

It's all about having the weight in the proper location.

Richard

When I mentioned about it being hard to release, I was talking about those suspenders that you attach to your weight belt. As far as handing your weights up to the boat, the Sea Soft pockets can be adjusted to sit below your BC. And, the pockets also have a zipper on the top to allow you to take the weight out of the pocket, and hand it up to the boat.

I think you're confused about the DUI product. Just so you know, the system that you're talking about (suspenders attached to weight belt) is not the DUI Weight & Trim. The suspender thingy is made by Trident. I have no idea how easy/difficult it is to ditch weight using the Trident suspender setup. I do know that the DUI product works well. There's a velcro flap that is used to load/unload weights from the top of the weight pocket. I suppose that a mesh bag could be used to corral all of the weights in each pocket to facilitate handing the weights up to the boat.

rstofer has given a great comparison of the systems since he owns both the DUI Weight & Trim and the SeaSoft harness. He must be attempting to set some sort of Guinness Book record by owning the most scuba weight systems. :D

rstofer has given a great comparison of the systems since he owns both the DUI Weight & Trim and the SeaSoft harness. He must be attempting to set some sort of Guinness Book record by owning the most scuba weight systems. :D

Not by intent! I provide the funding for everything related to diving for myself, my wife, son-in-law and grandson. That's a LOT of gear. My stuff was old and obsolete, my wife never did have a decent weight system and my son-in-law is a brand new diver.

I still need one more weight harness for my grandson. At the moment his weight is integrated but as soon as he finishes the OW program I will probably buy him a DSS wing like the other two.

Oh, did I mention how much I like the DSS BP/W?

Richard

Maybe the better idea, would be to not buy any BC and go strait to the BP/W option. Don't know if I could use one for my OW/cert, But maybe afterward.

Since switching to a BPW even though I have an integrated bc I never use the weight pockets. A belt with pockets by xsscuba is more convenient, easier to manage and adjust weights, and to hand up if needed. When using a BPW if I need extra weights I use the same belt under the crotch strap. Ditchable weights are something I consider unnecessary for me. I dive a balanced rig and don't need to be able to ditch weights unless it's an extreme emergency. I also do not overweight my students and try to get them to get into the habit of wearing the minumum amount of weight they need.

Maybe the better idea, would be to not buy any BC and go strait to the BP/W option. Don't know if I could use one for my OW/cert, But maybe afterward.

If you can rent a BC for the OW class, it probably makes sense to do so. Sometimes the LDS will use jacket style BC because some new divers are more comfortable with that rig.

But, by all means, if you are going to buy something, look at the Deep Sea Supply BP/W. I bought one for myself and then turned around and bought one for my son-in-law who just completed OW. He loves it! I have had a back problem for the last month or so and haven't been able to try mine other than in the pool.

Richard

Since switching to a BPW even though I have an integrated bc I never use the weight pockets. A belt with pockets by xsscuba is more convenient, easier to manage and adjust weights, and to hand up if needed. When using a BPW if I need extra weights I use the same belt under the crotch strap. Ditchable weights are something I consider unnecessary for me. I dive a balanced rig and don't need to be able to ditch weights unless it's an extreme emergency. I also do not overweight my students and try to get them to get into the habit of wearing the minumum amount of weight they need.

My problem, is that I want to get rid of my belt, and switch to a weight harness.

I use a integrated BC. However I dive with some guys that use both when they are in a 7m suit.. 10lb to 12lb in the belt and the rest in the BC. This also helps with removing BC at depth.

My problem, is that I want to get rid of my belt, and switch to a weight harness.

That's not a problem, you just walk into a shop and get one! The DUI Weight and Trim is excellent.

If you get the adjustable model, you can move it anywhere from half-way up your back to hanging off your butt to get nice horizontal trim.

I'd never go back to a belt. Belts only work well with people who look good in speedos and bikinis.

Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom