Integrated Backup: Scubapro AIR 2 or Atomic SS1?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You might also consider the Zeagle Octo-Z. The Octo-Z and the Atomic SS1 have a couple of advantages over other safe seconds. They both have a threaded coupling between the the couregated hose and the safe second that allows the reg to be seperated from the BC and kept with the rest of the reg set. The threaded coupling also has the advantage that it hooks to a garden hose and allows the bc to be flushed with fresh water from a hose.

One of the draw backs to this type of equipment is that if you travel and have to rent a bc they won't fit on the rental bc without changing them out with the standard inflator and having an adapter for their male coupling to a standard female coupling for the inflator hose.

I just went that route awhile ago when I took a cruise and couldn't take my bc. I ended up scounging up an old 2nd stage to use as an octo and got the adapter fof my SS1 coupling to a standard inflator.

Can you try both before you buy? This is probably going to boil down to personal preference.

I'm an Atomics fan and use the SS1. I probably should put on a longer hose on my T2 but haven't gotten around to it yet. The SS1 works well for me.

Without getting into the whole "is an integrated octo/inflator a good idea" debate.....:)

If you choose to go with the octo/inflator then I recommend you get a BC with a right shoulder dump......that way the vent the BC while using the octo/inflator issue goes away.......

Scuba Diver Magazine has always rated the SS1 as the "best" octo inflator in their evaluations, it comes down to it being the easiest to breath, closest to a high performance second stage.........

Here is a link...........

7 Backup Breathers | Scuba Diving Magazine

Hope this helps..........M

If you choose to go with the octo/inflator then I recommend you get a BC with a right shoulder dump......that way the vent the BC while using the octo/inflator issue goes away.......

One big problem with this idea is that most divers have made a habit out of dumping with the left hand. In an emergency it's unlikely that you would instinctively dump with a different hand. Also, if you're sharing air and ascending, chances are you're hanging on to the OOA diver with your right hand. Almost every jacket BC has a pull dump on the inflator, so you don't need to take the octo/inflator out of your mouth, just pull on the hose.

Someday they'll make a BC with 10 dump valves, just wait. More is better!:wink:

10 dump valves......I'm in................:)

Dump valves just like D-rings, more is always better..................

I agree it will take significant re-training, but if the OP chooses to go with an octo/inflator then investing the time to learn to use it is an absolute must.......

Just like re-learning the whole long hose/bungeed second thing........:)

The OP will need to practice with it a lot to be able to handle the situation, relearing buoyancy control while breathing off the octo/inflator.........

I normaly dive a BP/W without any "top-side" pull dumps.......but when i dive my son's BC (with right shoulder dump) I have no problem converting over.............

I started diving with a Tusa Duo-Air.........put the OOA diver on your right side, control him/her with your right hand, computer on left wrist so you can monitor depth, time and ascent rate. To dump air, just casually reach across your chest and pull the rigth shoulder dump.....easy as pie.......

Hope this helps.......M

I'd go with the SS1 and substitute an Atomic Z2 setup for the Apeks stuff. Better regulators, easier breathing, longer service intervals. Just my opinion.

I'd absolutely go with Atomic all the way.

The SS1 is Stainless Steel inside breathes better than the Air2 (not that it really matters a lot) and best of all has a quick-disconnect on the BC inflator hose (the ~1" corrugated rubber hose).

This means you can disconnect it from your BC, which makes soaking your regs while still pressurized easy, and makes rinsing the inside of your BC easy, since you have a big open hose end to do it with.

The Atomic Z2 is a kick-ass reg that breathes amazingly well, and every bit as good as it's more expensive relatives (M1/B1/T1/) and if you decide to dive in cold water, there's an environmental seal kit available for it.

Terry

Last edited:
I have to vote for the Atomic SS1. The lake I work in has a lot of total dissolved solids in the water. I have a SS1 and my buddy dives with the Air1. After a couple hundred hours of diving, the Scubapro failed and my Atomic is still going strong. The failure was no big deal, just needed to be rebuilt and more attention spent of cleaning after each dive.

Both are great products, my son dives with the Air2, and you will not go wrong with either one.

Atomic SS1 Love their products the Ti SS! breaths better then anything I have ever used. Simple, easy to service.!

ok ok. i think i know which way to go... thanks all!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom