insurance for flooded camera replacement?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You'll have to check with DEPP to be sure but I don't think they will replace the housing just because your camera needs to be replaced. The way I understand it....If you are forced into an upgrade or different camera because of unavailability for a replacement, there still is nothing wrong with the housing, it just no longer fits what you have, so there's no valid reason to replace it. I don't think any coverage is going to do that for you.

I suppose if you know for sure your camera is toast....best just drop the whole rig over the side to the deep blue! :wink: :eek:ut: I'm kidding, of course!

Hmmm, I guess it is better to drop the whole set rather than flood:D Better throw in the DS125 strobe too so I can get 2 YS90 strobes instead. Oh well, since it looks like my trip this weekend is a no go due to weather, my next big dive trip is not until first week of July, I guess I'll wait a few more days and see if DEPP will answer my questions that I sent them before I sign up.

Have you called them? I always have good luck getting them on the phone...1-888-678-4096

I called up my insurance agent and had my new C5050 added to my "Personal Properity" plan. It covers thing such as rings and other personal items and has 0 deductable and did not cost me a dime extra. I made sure it covers my camera if it was flooded. All of my dive gear is also covered.

Just a thought.

Aqua Guy

AquaGuy once bubbled...
I called up my insurance agent and had my new C5050 added to my "Personal Properity" plan. It covers thing such as rings and other personal items and has 0 deductable and did not cost me a dime extra. I made sure it covers my camera if it was flooded. All of my dive gear is also covered.

Just a thought.

Aqua Guy

I have a friend who had his camera gear added to his home owners policy. Sure enough, his camera flooded while on vacation. He called his agent as soon as he returned. The agent was appalled! "You mean you intentionally took your camera into the water? Flood insurance means it's covered if your house floods!" After things were ironed out and he got a partial settlement, his home owners policy was cancelled.

So if you go this route, make sure you and your agent are on the same page and everything is very strictly understood!

"Flood" insurance....hehe.

"No man, I said hous-ing", not "house"!

Too funny :D

Hello,

homeowners/personal property ins mostly covers theft not floods.

Ed

I just got a reply back from DEPP. They will not replace the housing from incompatibility problem. So when the housing is flooded, I guess I will need to wack it on the rock a couple of times :wink:
so at least in my case, I don't think I will have to list my ikelite housing under flood item then ( $20 less)

ssra30 once bubbled...
I guess I will need to wack it on the rock a couple of times :wink:

Before you whack it a few times, make sure your camera is totally toast!!!

Well, I assume the camera ought to be toasted by the time I am done with the housing :tease:

Anyhow, I should not say this, if DEPP monitor this board once in awhile, they are going to put me on their black list before I can get insured.

I think my premium is going to end up something like $240, after itemized all the required stuffs to really primarily insure about $2000 photographic equipments. I think I need to put a sign next to my camera saying that, if they want to steal my camera, they should take the rest of the diving gear as well!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom